Deck core thickness?

sealab2021
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Deck core thickness?

Post by sealab2021 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm

So I have a 1984 westerly corsair. There is deck damage and delamination underneath. What is the wooden core thickness? I was at the hardware store that stocks marine plywood and all they stocked was 3/4 inch at about $80 USD for a 4x8 sheet. I have about 12' of delaminates deck that will be ripped out and rebuilt. Also doing all of the work myself, all tips and information appreciated.

Thank you
1984 westerly corsair

rogerball0

Re: Deck core thickness?

Post by rogerball0 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:28 am

I dont think you'd be far off with 3/4" ply to be honest, when i re-cored my Centaurs Foredeck and side deck areas the balsa was around 1/4" thick, the outer GRP skin was the same and the inner skin about 1/8" thick. Have you removed any hardware in the afflicted areas to see how thick the constituent parts are?

Albums here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101828864 ... directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101828864 ... directlink

Roger

sealab2021

Post by sealab2021 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:06 am

Well I didn't cut anything apart yet I could see swollen wet wood when I removed the waste/deck fitting. The damage is extensive about 12 feet of hull to deck joint crushed. I cannot accurately tell how thick the wood may be.
I am going to approach the repair by laying up new glass deck fiberglassed right to the hull. The repair should be robust and stronger than the starboard side. The work that I have done so far has shown this boat is heavily laid up and good quality.

2 stanchions and bases were ripped off of the deck. This is good news because the bases ripped off without leaving gaping holes in the fiberglass. Of course I'm also missing about 12 feet of rub strake and also the bow pulpit was also ripped off of the deck. I found a similar used bow pulpit for $75, I glassed the existing holes, the new fits slightly different. However when the repair is finished it should be invisible. At least she floats!
1984 westerly corsair

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Might be worth having an exploratory in a sound part of the deck near the damage so you have a spec, might be worth dropping an email to Caroline at Trafalgar as they might have an idea of the laminate schedule.

Good luck.

sealab2021

Post by sealab2021 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:27 am

Thank you for all of the replies. I spent the last two days cutting and removing the deck and the rotten balsa. The balsa was black with rot in a few of the worst leaking areas. I have ground out everything that was damaged with a 7" variable sander with a 36 grit disc. Also I have a Fein tool and it came in handy. Today I started putting in new glass around some of the ground out areas and I will most likely do more work tomorrow. I'm taking it slow and doing small areas at a time. I plan on glassing the hull to the deck. I have not decided if I will reuse the existing glass deck I cut out. What a mess, I'm glad I can come here and talk about it.
1984 westerly corsair

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:41 pm

No worries, post some pics when possible.

sealab2021

Post by sealab2021 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:18 pm

I will post pictures soon. I decided on using 1/2 plywood for the deck. As I added another layer of stiffening glass to reinforce the glass liner before I start epoxying the wood deck in place. I think I will end up using the existing deck that I cut away. I have already used almost a gallon of resin I have more ordered and on the way.
1984 westerly corsair