Oceanlord cutlass bearing

andrewthompson
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Oceanlord cutlass bearing

Post by andrewthompson »

Hi Has anyone changed a cutlass bearing on a Oceanlord. If so what is involved and what size/spec is it also where best to get one
TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Oceanlord cutlass bearing

Post by TyroSailor »

'Fraid I can't answer the Q, but I do know that it's a Cutless bearing, not cutlass (which is either a sword or an injured girl...). This could be the start of my campaign to correct this misspelling, which is so common that it's in danger of displacing the original! Mr Cutless would not be happy :wink:

http://www.marineenginedigest.com/speci ... arings.htm (last paragraph)

Good luck with your enquiry.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
mikebuggy

Re: Oceanlord cutlass bearing

Post by mikebuggy »

The procedure is the same for every production boat with a P bracket and cutless bearing. Nothing special about the Oceanlord or Westerlys. I've done a few including my own Oceanranger's twice. The Cutless bearing itself is a standard off the shelf item. They come in a wide range of inner and outer diameters and lengths.
See: http://www.sillette.co.uk/price_pdf_fil ... arings.pdf
Your shaft diameter will determine your inner bearing diameter. Depending on which engine you have, you may have a 25, 30, or 32mm shaft. You will need to borrow a ruler, a callipers, and a vernier to measure length of P bracket 'tube', and diameter of internal bore of P bracket tube (which also = outer diameter of Cutless). The shaft = inner diameter of cutless. The bearing itself is a tube consisting of a thin bronze jacket with a bonded-in liner of longitudinally ribbed phenol or tufnol. The tube is held in the P bracket by 1 or 2 small allen-key grub screws.
You need to get the P bracket tube end clean and then find the grub screws. Clean out their heads properly and find which allen key fits best. Loosen these right off.
Take off your prop. Undo nut. Warm the boss a bit, and then hit boss on both sides (2 hammers laterally) simultaneously and not from the back. If neccessary borrow a prop puller and put some pressure on this way as well.
There are special pullers to get the old cutless out, but many people make up their own. a common way is to cut a thin steel tube a size which roughly fits over the shaft) in half lengthwise and place it 'upstream' of the P bracket on the shaft, clamped together by a jubilee clip. This is then used with a modified puller, or just using force and tools, to push the bearing back out. I've even been lucky enough to just use a steel punch or chisel to hammer it out from ahead. You may find you only need to get it out an inch, because you can then get a mole grip on it and twist it out fully.
If you dont want to cut a tube lengthwise then you can also hammer a long thin tube (which fits over the shaft) into the bearing from behind and then drive the bearing forward onto the shaft. Once free on the shaft, its a soft metal so easy to cut through carefully into 2 long halves diagonally so you can remove it. You can use the same tube to push the new bearing into place. You may wish to use loctite or similar on the grub screws. Whatever method you use, be careful with hammering too much into the P bracket as its not designed to take this. If you meet stiff resistance, then do borrow a puller. Most Marina staff will tell you where you can borrow one locally.