how much antifoul for a Corsair II

Pethautwp
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

how much antifoul for a Corsair II

Post by Pethautwp »

Hi,

I'm just planning the antifouling of the above boat for the 1st time. can anyone advise on the amount of material i'll need or an idea of the area of hull that needs to be covered?

many thanks
Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: how much antifoul for a Corsair II

Post by Vegable »

It depends to a certain extent where you are and how many coats you want to put on. I've got an Oceanranger, the same hull as yours, and I use about 3 litres and thin that down about 10% with white spirit. However I'm in the cold waters of the north of Scotland and only put on 1 coat. If you're on the south coast, then don't thin down and you'll need 2 coats and maybe a haul out and scrub down mid season.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

I'll second that. I've got an Oceanranger on the South coast. 3 litres is just too little for a good coating. With 5 litres I get a very good coating, but with a little bit left over. So there you are!!!
Pethautwp

Post by Pethautwp »

Many thanks both,

I'm on the south coast of west wales so will probably look at the 5l estimate. do you have a preferred product?
Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No

Post by Vegable »

I just use Cruiser Uno, but have used all sorts of concoctions - generally what's cheapest when I'm buying. I did use Blakes cruisers anti-foul, I forget what it was called but it's the normal stuff you buy, at Pwllheli for 18 months not taking it out of the water, and apart from weed which grew on the bottom of the keel followed by a ton of mussels growing on the weed - the bottom of the keel looked like a huge rugby ball, there was no crustacean growth anywhere. We didn't sail very fast either!
If you're surrounded by other boats, see what they are using.
On a cheerful note I did read somewhere that helicopter pilots preferred red anti-foul because it was easier to spot upturned hulls rather than the blue, green,white and black colours! However it's not a thing Westerly sailors need to consider!
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
Pethautwp

Post by Pethautwp »

Hi,

would anyone have any thoughts on how I can ensure that cruiser UNO is compatible with the unknown product that is currently on the boat?
sgr143

Post by sgr143 »

The January 2016 "Practical Boat Owner" issue had a massive cross - comparison test of lots of different types of antifoul at locations all around the UK.
Steve Roberts - "Osprey" Merlin MN74 at WicorMarine