How are the Keel bolts embedded into the Iron Keel

Huron Sailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

How are the Keel bolts embedded into the Iron Keel

Post by Huron Sailor » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:06 pm

All
I am trying to sell my Westerly Cirrus but folks are hesitant and wondering how long will the keel bolts last. the boat is a 1970 Cirrus and is in great condition with no leaking. The keel was sand blasted 2 years ago and I followed the Petit Metal Paint system to coat, apply fairing and bottom paint.
where can I find the specifications on the bolt anchoring and the likelyhood of failure.

Thanks for your help!

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: How are the Keel bolts embedded into the Iron Keel

Post by rogerball0 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi HS i pulled everyone of mine from a 1971 Centaur and to be honest they were all in perfect nick, i replaced them only cos they were too short, i guess a prospective owner might be hesitant unless you can pull one or two, the port side ones on my Centaur were just threaded into the iron with nothing on them, The starboard side had what looked like a smear of something like sika on the threads. The starboard side keel gave loads of problems during my fathers ownership.

Old one to the left, new ones to the right.

Huron Sailor
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Huron Sailor » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 am

rogerball0,

are these embedded or threaded and screwed into place. From the photo I see the tops (discolored) about 4 threads. I'm guessing the lengths are 12 to 15 inches (30 to 40 cm)?

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:40 pm

They are threaded into the keel. I have heard a number of people who, like Roger & I have removed the studs only to find them in perfect condition. In fact I don't recall anyone finding problems with them. The bend is where they were 'adjusted' to fit the holes when the keels were originally fitted.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

jim1945

Post by jim1945 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:20 am

Huron Sailor's boat is the one I purchased. I did have concerns about keel bolts on a 45 year old boat but after seeing the keel bolts on the boat I was satisfied with their integrity. I think there were 7 bolt which looked almost one inch in diameter holding up a 1400 lb keel. Pretty substantial fastenings.I will put a wrench on them (they are double nutted) to see if they tighten up.