Recommendations for epoxy repair systems

Peter Q
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Recommendations for epoxy repair systems

Post by Peter Q »

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand of epoxy resin and associated filler products or are they all much of a muchness?

The ones I have come across are:

Blue Gee
West
SP

The sort of repairs I am looking to do include deep gelcoat repairs requiring filler, glassing over unwanted holes (ie from removed fittings), glassing in new fittings and filling and gluing wood (eg the rubbing strake scarf joint).

The repairs will be carried out on my 1982 Westerly Discus.

Many thanks in advance.

PQ
Jolly Roger

Re: Recommendations for epoxy repair systems

Post by Jolly Roger »

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.

Epoxy by West and SP systems are well known marine epoxies and will certainly perform giving better bonding with old polyester resin as per your grp, than using a polyester resin.

Gel coat repairs are notoriously difficult to get an exact colour match. Most Westerlies from the early 1980's had a gel coat that has not remained white over time. My 1981 Fulmar has certainly discoloured greatly, until I started sanding the surface. See some photos in my photo file link in my signature of how bad my cockpit has changed colour to a browny cream colour.

Now your decision will be do you clean the gel coat and use a white gel coat/filler or match to what you have. This short video will explain the process of matching the colour very clearly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxzCZ-5lMxY

For my gel coat repairs I have been using Plastic Padding Gelcoat Filler (available in most chandlers) and with clean gel coat it gives a very good match - but not absolutely perfect. It passes the 10 foot rule - do you see it at 10ft, if you cannot it passed the test.

When doing any gel coat filling it is critical you grind the exisiting edge of the gel coat to clean fresh gel as you will see a line of dirt once filled and polished.

With regard to rejoining the scharf joint on the teak rubbing strake, this is slightly more difficult to get a good bond as tek is a very oily wood. I would suggest protecting the gel coat under the general area with polythene, then flood the broken joint with acetone to displve the surface oil in the joint. Then use a syringe to push some epoxy into the joint and hold in place with more screws. If the repair is not as neat as you want then you will either have to let a new piece of teak in or follow my example of adding a 25mm wide stainless steel strip to the rubbing strake. This is available from Wilks and cost me about £350 for four 4.89m lengths, but you may need five lengths. Details of this are in my thread http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/woafor ... 8&start=30 and posted on 10 March 2015. Photos are agin in my photo file.

Hope this answers your queries and may I wish you the best of luck in getting excellent results from these repairs.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
rhumlady
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rhumlady »

I would avoid using epoxy to repair gelcoat as it isn't uv stable. Gelcoat filler as Roger has mentioned or gelcoat resin in styrene with pigment as required. Lots of hits on the Web I expect.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
keith_young
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by keith_young »

I've used West, Blue Gee and Gurit SP epoxy in the past, all with decent results. I used west filler with the latter two. I'm no expert but they all seemed much of a muchness to me. West has some excellent documents on their web site and I was recently greatly impressed by a very detailed and comprehensive reply sent to me by a guy at Gurit in response to a technical query about their epoxy and hardener.

Buying pumps for whatever brand you go with makes it easier to mix if doing jobs requiring anything more than trivial amounts. I'm liable to stick with Gurit SP for now because I've got the pumps and was impressed by their technical support. If not for that I'd be deciding on what they had in the local chandler and how much it cost. But then I'm no expert....
Peter Q

Post by Peter Q »

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for both replies.

The colour matching video was very interesting and helpful. I have also ordered some Y10 and will be giving it a go. I understand the process for the repairs as a long time ago I did many of them but thanks for the helpful tip about the Dremel, I was considering one and you have tipped the balance in its favour (although I’ve ordered something cheaper than a real Dremel!).

I’m not sure about the stainless steel strip for the rubbing strake but I’ll see how that particular repair goes with your advice and let you know…

I have deck paint on Jaybee and although it is a bit slippy at the moment I think it is because its worn so will be redoing it with a similar surface towards the end of the refit. My Father’s boat (a 13 year old Elan 40) has just had the teak deck replaced with artificial teak and it works very well and is something I may consider in the future.

PQ
Peter Q

Post by Peter Q »

Hi Derek,

Many thanks for the comment about using polyester gelcoat, I was aware and the epoxy will be used to fill and strengthen the various holes and gaps, then polyester gelcoat used for the finish. I am also aware of the issues getting polyester to stick to epoxy (it works fine the other way around). I was very fortunate a few years ago to be shown how to do this by the late Dave Ovington. You have to apply the polyester soon after it goes off and within 24 hours, then use a little heat before applying.

PQ

Edit: I may have remembered this slightly wrong, I have been doing some reading and I think that the Epoxy must be fully cured before applying polyester gelcoat.
Last edited by Peter Q on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Q

Post by Peter Q »

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your replies too.

I’ll do some more research but its good to know that none of the ones mentioned are going to be duff choice!

PQ
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Peter Q wrote:I have deck paint on Jaybee and although it is a bit slippy at the moment I think it is because its worn so will be redoing it with a similar surface towards the end of the refit. My Father’s boat (a 13 year old Elan 40) has just had the teak deck replaced with artificial teak and it works very well and is something I may consider in the future.
Peter

If the paint surface is not badly chipped and flaking, then I would repaint the decks. You will need 4 cans of Interdeck (on my Fulmar I had plenty left in the 4th tin after two coats). I do not suggest you remove the old surface if it is damaged, but you can use a 2 part epoxy filler to level up the surface level. Just make sure if there is any flaky areas that you get back to soundly bonded paint. You will certainly find it will cost far less and be quicker to paint your decks than have synthetic teak applied, also is in keeping with the Westerly look as virtually none have teak decks.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Peter Q

Post by Peter Q »

Jolly Roger wrote:You will certainly find it will cost far less and be quicker to paint your decks than have synthetic teak applied
For sure!

Thanks again for the info Rodger, it is much appreciated.

PQ