reducing the draft on a Fulmar

RodShiers
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

reducing the draft on a Fulmar

Post by RodShiers »

I am contemplating taking my twin keeled Fulmar along the Kennet and Avon Canal (moving it from Portishead to the East coast) and draft could be an issue in a couple of places. Can anyone tell me how to calculate the effect of the draft when I have unshipped the rig. I propose to have it transported to London so it won't be on the boat. Some suggested the reduction in draft would be negligible but every inch counts.

Any useful suggestions would be appreciated, also any tips from anyone with experience of the canal.

Rod Shiers
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: reducing the draft on a Fulmar

Post by Jolly Roger »

Rod

The only way to reduce the draft would be to strip off every non essential item from the boat. That means absolutely everything, besides the rig, including floorboards, locker lids, cockpit grating, bunk cushions, cooker, sails, sprayhood, empty the water tank,etc. This I would expect would reduce the draft by about 2 to 3 inches. That is my estimate because as a percentage of the overall weight you will probably remove about 20%. Then think of the depth of the main hull section and remove 20% of the volume, remembering that there is more volume at the top of the section. That is how I arrived at 2 to 3 inches of deraft reduction.

When you work out the cost of rig removal/restepping and transport plus moving all the other items, it may cost a small fortune. It may be cheaper and as quick to sail it round to the east coast. You could ask on the forum to see if anyone would like to join you on this trip. You could easily do this as a series of day trips and should do it in about 10 days, or faster if you sailed overnight.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
RodShiers
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by RodShiers »

Thanks for that - seems to confirm what someone else about the draft. I appreciate the comparative ease of the trip round. Have done it many times and fancied a different challenge. Thanks again. Regards Rod
rhumlady
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rhumlady »

Remember that the canal is fresh water not salt so less buoyant. You will need to take this into consideration. Your 3" saved may not be that after all.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213