Picking up remote wifi signal

Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Picking up remote wifi signal

Post by Vegable »

I’m based on a swinging mooring in Arisaig. There are two sources of wifi available but at a very low to non-existent signal strength. After reading posts on various forums I bought an ALFA AWUS036H signal booster (a much bigger omni direction aerial, but that’s not important at the moment) and because I wanted the wifi to be available all over the boat an ALFA 36 Router. I can get the system working using a laptop but I’m totally stuck trying to get it working using my Nexus 10 tablet. Specifically, getting wifi into the Nexus 10. For weight and spce reasons the Tablet is ideal.
At the moment I’m just using the signal booster plugged in to the Nexus. I’ve downloaded “Pcap Capture” and that’s giving me lots of “packets”, but I haven’t got a clue how I change packets into working wifi on the tablet. On the Pcap website it says I need to download “Wireshark” but looking at Wireshark’s video guide the stuff it’s showing me is way over my head and I’m totally lost. (I’ll worry about the router once I’ve got the tablet wifi reception sorted out.)
I tried contacting ALFA and to give them their due they were happy to help, but their command of the English language is so poor that I couldn’t understand any of their instructions!
Can anyone help please?
I should add that I’m now back in the comfort of my home and use a BT Broadband router to get my wifi within the house. My thoughts are that if I know what I’m supposed to be looking at by picking up the house wifi signal then I should be able to recognise what I need to look for when I’m on the boat.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
rhumlady
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Picking up remote wifi signal

Post by rhumlady »

Mike,
You talk about getting the WiFi into the tablet. This should be a case of identifying the WiFi source and connecting to it by going into settings and opening the WiFi tab, not the on off button.this will show any ssid's that the tablet is picking up and offer the chance to connect. Obviously you need the credentials for the connection. If you are connecting to the laptop by network cable then you may well be better hooking the router up and setting the WiFi on that to give you access from your tablet and laptop. What is the source of the WiFi that you are boosting?

Derek
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

Just reading your post again and I think pap capture and wirework are not what you are looking for, far too technical. I may be teaching granny to such eggs here but on my Xperia tablet and phone getting into settings is done by dragging the status bar at the top right of the screen. If you press the WiFi symbol it will toggle it off or on depending on its current state. You want the settings tab and then touch the WiFi word on the left to see details of all available connections. Any without a padlock are open and can usually be connected to but be aware that you may run into security issues as miscreants can leave things open to trap the unwary but not sure that will be a problem in Arisaig:-))
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
Alastair Miller
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Alastair Miller »

I don't know anything about the devices you mention but in general a router does a different job than what you are looking for. You definitely don't want or need Wireshark. This is a real tekkies tool for capturing and decoding packets of data to analyse problems.
Vegable

Post by Vegable »

Hi Derek, nice to here from you again. Hope all's well and you've had a good season.
Hi Alastair, thank you for your reply.

The signals at Arisaig are BT Openzone, and the Arisaig Hotel free wifi. The Alfa systems come in the form of a signal booster unit which takes in a very weak wifi signal, boosts it and chucks it out on a USB lead, and then a small router which acts just like your home router and transmits the signal to (in my case) the rest of the boat and a small surrounding area.
The booster unit sends out its boosted wifi signal via a USB lead and it's translating this USB signal which is causing me grief and is way beyond my "stick the red wire to the red wire and the black wire to the black wire and off you go" skill level! This boosted wifi signal input uses a totally different circuitry to the normal Tablet wifi circuitry so going into "Settings" "wifi" and logging/connecting on doesn't apply in this case.
Why I can get it working using the Laptop is because the booster needs driver software inputting from a miniature DVD which I can do on the laptop but not on the Nexus.
This morning I posted this topic on the PBO help forum where there are lots of techies so hopefully I can come back with answers.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

Mike,
I think you may struggle with this beast as from what I have been able to see on their site and on the Web this does need drivers in the system you are connecting it to as per your laptop. I don't think you will get it to connect to the router or your pad. You could maybe have it hooked to your laptop and then tie the router to the laptop via the Ethernet port. You should then be able to set the router up as a WiFi access point as per your home system. A bit messy I'm afraid. The other way if your laptop has Bluetooth is to use that to create a network connection to your pad. Easy for me to say but not that easy to describe here.

The boat is still tucked away as the last 18 months have been spent renovating the house which at around 150 years old is badly in need of it. Still Irene is going to be helping once we get back on to it. That should be in the spring I hope. How are you enjoying being back up north?
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
Vegable

Post by Vegable »

Hi Derek,
Yes it' giving me a bit of grief, but others are using it and I've had some useful help on the PBO forum so I hope to get it working soon.
Having a great time back up in Arisaig. Went on a booze cruise visiting a number of distilleries with a group of mates via Oban, Corryvreken, Jura down to Port Ellen, then up the west side to Tobermoray - all in the interests of scientific research of course, and found we had stowaways on board too! Matthew Gloag, Captain Morgan, and Mr Cockburn! Then Janet and I took advantage of the NWly winds at the end of June and went to St Kilda and spent a few days there. It's been a great years sailing for us.
Must admit our house is in a bit of a ruinous state at the moment. That Peyton cartoon of a wfe at the door of a wreck of a house saying to the caller that he's away working on his boat really applies to me. Must get started on things this winter. Going to have a sore head tomorrow though, daughter produced her first child yesterday a son, our 3rd grandchild now with my cruise-ship driving son having his first in Adelaide in March - I suppose we'll just have to go out and visit them in Feb/March next year.......the things you have to do to support your children!
Best wishes to you and yours
Mike.
rhumlady

Post by rhumlady »

Mike,

Talking of kids, we have just come off a call from from our lad and his girlfriend who is now his fiancée. About time too we say. That will be a wedding in South island, New Zealand.
I couldn't get away with letting the house get any worse and it has taken a lot of time with a lot still to go. As much as anything else it is in preparation for my retirement in 2016 at which time I want to have the boat back in the water so we can go sailing.
I saw your thread on PBO. I hadn't realised the router was closely related to the booster but it sounds a good setup which i will need to remember.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre »

Hmmm, 150 year old house in need of renovation plus elderly Konsort needing work ... are you sure you're not us? :P