Centaur Waterline Measurement

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Centaur Waterline Measurement

Post by rogerball0 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm

I know its a bit late but are there any Centaur owners out there that could give me a measurement from the top of the stem; under the metal stem fitting, (strake bottom edge) to the waterline and on the transom a measurement from the very bottom up either side to the waterline. I have set a laser on my Centaur using measurements i took before sanding everything off and i can't get anywhere near my own numbers.

cheers

roger

P.S i tried Trafalgar with no such luck

Uncle Albert
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Centaur Waterline Measurement

Post by Uncle Albert » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Assuming weather is fair tomorrow and I can get out to the boat and its not jumping about too much then I shall dip the end of my tape measure into the briney and obtain said dimensions. It will need some 'adjustment' for a 16 stone lump of moveable ballast to be taken into account for these measurements.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Nice One, cheers uncle albert - been pulling me my hair out as the boat is levelled fore/aft and across the beam so should be a case of switching the level on and marking using the numbers i took off the boat a couple of years ago but when the laser's on its mark on the stem its about two inches below the very bottom of the transom, truly bizarre.

Cheers

roger

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am

To try to get rid of that annoying puddle that collects on the cockpit seats I moved my anchor chain into the cockpit locker.

This lifted the front of the boat an inch or two and dropped the stern too. I think it looks just fine with the stern sitting a bit lower and the water a couple of inches below the boot topping.
The boot topping at the bow is maybe 4 to 6 inches above the waterline and that looks good too, sort of lifting to ride up over the waves, and that is stood still.

Some folks say to antifoul as much as 6" above the waterline, that may be a bit too much but since the waterline is an area of heavy fouling it's best not to skimp and be for ever scrubbing the green beard.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi RogerBall0, well from on a bit of a lively and bucking deck I have the following for you.

All are vertical/plumb measurements as best as I could achieve and based upon average of wave crests and troughs

Bow. measured from below the rubbing strake to the water surface 32 inches
Stern. measured at back stay location below rubbing strake to water surface 27 inches
At main shroud/deck attachement point, 26 inches

I would say that the antifoul line I have on my boat is about 2 inches above mean water level (Although port side seems to show slightly more that stbd, but that is probably due to batteries, food and water being stowed on starboard side)

Other things you might want to take in to consideration:
Bow is loaded with 50 meters of anchor chain
Bow is loaded with a full water tank.

Stern may be affected by a full diesel tank and there is a kedge anchor and warp along with spare diesel jerry can stowed in the stern lazerette.
They are the main weight effects I think.

I am 16 stone and that must have some effect when taking measurements.

Hopefully its something you can use to start your lining up with
Uncle Albert
CR1702

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Albert, Bob cheers for the measurements and tips that'll go a long way to cross checking my dimensions. I totally forgot about the laurent giles archive which i'll try as well but the drawings work out at £47 each, that said they are the original lines plans the boat was built from so if all else fails might try them, once again thanks for your time.

cheers

rog

poachers lady

Post by poachers lady » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 am

Just a thought. Why do we insist on straight and level anti-fouling junctions? How about some nice 'bow wave' graphics? Problem solved.

As I said....just a thought. Must go and take my medication now.
Regards

Mike

Poachers Lady
Centaur

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm

I put Alberts measurements on my hull yesterday and they appear to be some way up the side of the hull so have decided to get a drawing from the Laurent Giles Archive and go from there, cheers for everyones help

Rog

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Roger I guess that a combination of lumpy water and too much stuff stowed on board, nothing at all to do with the overweight skipper I hasten to add :wink:

I have always thought that I need a whole lot of Anti Foul paint and I guess that you have supported that arguement.

I am out on the boat tomorrow and the weather is set fair, (perhaps too fair, as wind is likely to be in short supply). I'll have another measure and advise on Sunday.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:55 pm

Cheers Albert, i went to my local yard and measured a couple of Centaurs down the stem and transom and it confused me even more as theres four different waterlines marked on my boat, that prompted an email to the Laurent Giles Archive to obtain some original numbers. Please feel free to email me with some new numbers if you get the chance.

cheers rog

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Received a copy of the original deck plan drawing from the Laurent Giles Archive today. Its dated 9th of May 1968 illustrating a Centaur with a quite a few differences to the final design. Link below:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101828864 ... directlink

cheers rog

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 am

That's interesting, it looks like there should be room to get cockpit drains out of the transom and still above the waterline if the cockpit is as deep as is shown there. I would love to get rid of the existing set up and do away with sea cocks but I'm reluctant to start on the butchery involved.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Bob

When i re-worked the back end of mine to include a load of lockers i measured a difference of 4" from the bottom of the cockpit floor to the waterline. Using non return valves it's a goer as when the boats heeled it will drain and takes away the worry of permanantly opened gate valves.

With regards the design waterline on the drawing it proves the original problem i found with my numbers and shows that my waterline wasn't straight. As previously mentioned when i struck the laser on the hull using the forward marks the laser shot past the bottom of the transom by a good few inches as per the drawing.

cheers rog