Sealord Owners

Albert
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: ideasnot

Post by Albert » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Hola Frank,
I have just two hours ago returned from the Southampton Boat Show. I was given complimentary tickets and went with a friend who skippered Hitler's yacht that was siezed at the end of the war by the Royal Navy and included in their sailing club for many years.

The big surprise was that I met a couple of exhibitors I have not seen for the better part of 15 years and they recognised me immediately and addressed me by my name. I was gobsmacked.

I can tell you there were lots of sailing boats on display and of a wide array of tonnages but nowadays everything looks plastic and the interiors are styled to look more like mobile homes than shiplike.

I have in my inventory somewhere in one of the boxes a very small rotary dimmer for use in reducing the brilliance of the compass light, but can I find it ? No. I could not find one single exhibitor that had one. So I shall have to revert to "mining" to find it.

This business of the pump failures is very extraordinary. I have only had problems with impellors and electric motor brushes, and these are available as spare parts which I also have buried deep in one of the boxes.

The shower pump in both the forward heads and aft heads on the Sealord were installed by Westerly upside down by the way, by oversight. It is best to reverse them although you will need longer plastic pipe to do so.

About all the other pumps I don't know, but I will bear in mind what you mention and will make a point of paying careful attention to the lot of them.I will be in a better position to discuss these when I get my hands on the boat which I expect to be in February in the new year.

I am amazed to hear you have squirts in the big locker lid. I will make enquiries as to how this can be treated and will come back to you.

I am not surprised you have condensation problems at the back of lockers given the temperatures. There is a report somewhere of styrofoam treatment and I will try to find it and pass it on. Probably you would alleviate this if you had air heating perhaps, to mitigate the chill ?

When I sailed the Baltic the ice thickness was about one inch and my ship ploughed through it effortlessly and when I was off watch I would go up to the bow to look over to watch the ice crumpling and making a loud crackling sound as we steamed.

I went into the Merchant Marine because I originally qualified for a Yachtmaster Ocean ticket, in 1974. In those days it was a Board of Trade Ticket and the syllabus was really extensive and the standard quite strict.
At that time they had a shortage of navigating officers for middle sea routes and I was offered to sail the Baltic as a deck officer which I snapped up, to get experience from a big ship point of view which was very valuable to me and has always stood me in good stead when sailing, something that many yachtsmen do not have practical experience of.

I am now semi retired and have lots of time to devote to Sealording. I have just sold my house in the UK and moving overseas soon so I am in the throes of packing and it is amazing what you accumulate over the years. Let's just keep in touch.

Saludos Cordiales.

Albert.
Albert

Albert

Styrofoam

Post by Albert » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:20 am

Hola Frank,

I have today had a chat on the phone with a manufacturer /supplier of watermakers, who informs me there are two kinds of styrofoam, one is porous and hygroscopic and the other is not. The porous one is not suitable for insulation and the other one is. It is manufactured by a firm in Germany. As soon as he tells me the details I shall let you have them.

Saludos Cordiales.

Albert.
Albert

Albert

Post by Albert » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Re. Your friends boat insulation project:

Hello Albert, Further to the phone conversation last week re. thermal
insulation of a vessels hull, as promised, here is the manufacturer of high density
closed cell styrene which is impervious to moisture:

_http://www.kingspan.com/ksp/products/insulation/_
(http://www.kingspan.com/ksp/products/insulation/)

Actually, as discussed, they sent me samples some years back for my boat at
the time and it is an excellent material. It is cut very easily with ordinary
wood saw (not hot wire) , and although there is some swarf like sawdust,
there is nothing like the mess that ordinary polystyrene makes when it is cut.
Something like the consistency of hard cheese. A very heavy person can walk on
it without leaving any foot impressions. It`s clean, hydrophobic and very
light.

I cannot recollect exactly, but it is available in a wide range of
thickenesses and is not very expensive. Perhaps about £100 for maybe two cubic yards /
metres - that would cover a lot of hull area in thin sheet. The sheets are
about 2200cm x 60cm. (Maybe 80" x 24").

Available through some builders suppliers.

Hope this helps your friend

Best wishes

Michael

Hola Frank, r u there ?
My friend has just sent me this message. I am going to independently check out whether it is available in thin sheet to make it pliable and what sort of glue can be used to stick it to bare fibreglass etc.,

I will report when I get to find out more.

Saludos,

Albert.
Albert

Frank
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by Frank » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:38 am

Hola Albert,

Thanks for that and apologies for the tardy reply. I shall see if I can find something similar in Australia... no room for any in my kit this time around.

Come Saturday I catch the kerosene canary back to Chile... biggest problem in the south just now doesn't seem to be the cold but the wind. :(

Albert

Re: Sealord Owners

Post by Albert » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:22 pm

Hola Frank, what is your current position please, over......

???

OK...not there at the moment....

Here is the latest...

I am getting ready to go and collect the Sealord ( Vintage) currently in the US in Hinkley's Yard in Annapolis, Maryland, USA. She has undergone refit..New Brunton's Propellor, Watermaker, new seacocks, new rudder bearings, etc.,

I expect to be in Annapolis end of this month. Further odd jobs are required on board, all minor.
I expect them all to be complete inside one week, followed by refloating, for trials in Chesapeake Bay.

If the trials are to my satisfaction and all is well I propose to sail from Annapolis to Gibraltar in one pull. I do not intend to stop either at Bermuda or the Azores. That makes it approx 4200 miles of open water.

it is quite funny that my American friends absolutely insist I ought to have a GPS. They tell me they are going to sneak one on board in a sealed box "in case of need". They argue that my use of a sextant, chronometer and stopwatch is "Quaint".I argue I will never give them up unless the Admiralty stops publishing The Nautical Almanac, because from my viewpoint, the sextant never lies, whereas electronics can fail. They argue that GPS takes out all the tedium of working out sights and is easy. I argue they are right, but also from my viewpoint it is a lazy habit I wish to avoid, in case I like it, and derelict my celestial navigation skills and forget them altogether and then one day if I need them, we are up a gum tree.

The thing is...I wanted to do this single handed but my wife insists on coming along.....and...she is bringing two friends who have limited sailing experience,
so I am going to spend 10 days with them sailing up and down Chesapeake Bay doing both day and night sailing to get them familiarised with the dreadnought. Then when I am satisfied that the landlubbery has been vapourised effectively only then can we prepare to leave.

I will keep you posted on this one. :lol:

Albert.
Albert

sharkstoothchris

Post by sharkstoothchris » Mon May 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Hello

I have SD11 according to the sails and J10 according to the hull.

Based in Dover, Britished Registerd called Wandering Star of Beaumaris.

Keep me in the loop with any other owners!

Regards

Chris Hannam

CMH

Post by CMH » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:38 pm

OK mate been tracking/soucing a lot of westerlies for a few years now, and it is impossible to get all the details! sealord is one that intrests me because they were the last model I discovered. It was In an article about the dismasting of westerly serenade SD39 about 15 years ago!

FROM THE WOA BOOKS:

I can confirm SD 2 is 'Lion's Tail', based in Aberystwyth, Wales until 2007
'Brilliance' SD 4 in Falmouth
'Sealord VI' SD 6 in Lowestoft, but they went to the Med
'Liberta' SD 8 was in weymouth
'Wandering Star' SD 11 Dover (listed in above post)
'Midknight Ketch' SD 12 River Blackwater
'Papajou' SD 16 (in owners association)
'Camomile' SD 28 Brighton
'Sea Dreams' SD 30 was on Lake Sabine, TX
'Vinatge' SD 31 listed by the original poster
'Sea Keveral' SD 34, Whitby
'Westerly Serenade' SD 39 Chile
'Tai Hu' SD 40, Milford Haven
'Serendipity' SD 84 (as printed) Plymouth

AND.....

I saw SD23 'Spellbound' for sail in Texas on a website some time last year.

SD 25 'Tighmara' was based in Scotland before heading to the Med. It was featured in articles in Yachting monthly a few years ago.

'Vilkas' sail no ? Link - http://www.vilkas.com/Boat%20Pictures.htm

'Lordship' listed in WOA book but sail no unknown based in France.

I saw 'Highland Sealord' less than 2 weeks near Oban but didn't get its sail number. link: http://www.alba-sailing.co.uk/sealord.htm

'Laska', sail no? pictured on this site flying a Portuguese flag! Link -http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/photos_sealord_39.htm

I saw one for sale on Ancasta website 4 years ago named 'Nirvana' sail no ? was in Portugal at the time.

I have also seen a blue hulled Sealord in Scotland named 'Blue Note' sail no ?

Finally a sealord for sail in the US named 'Take five' sail no ?' - on another brokerage website 3/4 years ago.

This has taken ages to remember/ trace but all for the cause! fair winds

Albert

Post by Albert » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:47 pm

How wonderful ! :D Thanks, CMH for all the research you must have done to come up with all this material.
Vintage is still in the USA. The Atlantic crossing had to be cancelled owing to injuries sustained when confronted by a Tornado that blew out of nowhere suddenly with winds gusting 63 knots. I am typing this with one finger owing to fracture of the left hand. The vessel is unharmed and is ashore and being looked after. The mission will be resumed hopefully in the spring of next year.
Albert

Albert

Post by Albert » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:52 pm

sharkstoothchris wrote:Hello

I have SD11 according to the sails and J10 according to the hull.

Based in Dover, British Registered called Wandering Star of Beaumaris.

Keep me in the loop with any other owners!

Regards

Chris Hannam
And thanks for your post, and welcome to the group. Who knows...one day we may have a "Sealord Meet"... :lol: ..would be very interesting and great fun... :lol:
Albert

Albert

Post by Albert » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:36 pm

And another Westerly Sealord has been found:-

Sea Dreams

Located at Port Arthur Yacht Club, Texas, USA.

Sail and Hull numbers unknown.
Albert

FrankH
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by FrankH » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 pm

And one lost.... Brilliance was abandoned on passage from the Falkland to South Africa in February(?) of this year, rig failure somewhere near Tristan de Cunha. Mike and his wife picked up by a passing ship and both safe and well.

He was about 2 years in Chile and had been from Ushuaia to Puerto Montt and back singlehanded.

Westerly Serenade is currently back in Pto Montt... heading south again in October.
Cheers
Frank

Albert

Post by Albert » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Hola Frank, are the details of the rig failure specifically known ?
Saludos, Albert.
Albert

FrankH
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by FrankH » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:43 am

Gday Albert,
Nothing heard about that... she had the single spreader rig... when mine failed it was the T-ball on the port lower that fractured on the inside of the bend as it enters the mast.

All I heard was that when he left the Falklands the rig already had a problem and that the rig was still standing when she was abandoned.. but that is pure hearsay off the Ushuaia wharf.....

I now have a double spreader rig with inner forestay, running backstays, etc etc
Cheers
Frank

CMH

Post by CMH » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Albert wrote:And another Westerly Sealord has been found:-

Sea Dreams

Located at Port Arthur Yacht Club, Texas, USA.

Sail and Hull numbers unknown.
SD 30 mate

CMH

Post by CMH » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:35 pm