Discus bridgedeck

Novice x2
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Discus bridgedeck

Post by Novice x2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi if there are any discus owners who wouldn’t mind questions from a newbie (silly or otherwise haha ) please get in touch . Paul & Liz cheers

Nigel Birch

Re: Discus bridgedeck

Post by Nigel Birch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Rule 2 - there's no such thing as a silly question. We were all there once.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Novice x2

Post by Novice x2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi sorry about that haha we are new to boats went on a sailing holiday last year quite by chance and fell in love with sailboats and being 65 this year don’t have much time to learn an awful lot !!

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Paul

Where are you based? There may be another Westerly owner who could help you learn the basics on either their boat or yours (when you take the plunge). If you are near Kent, I would be happy to take you out on my Fulmar.

You are the start of the learning curve on boat handling, but the more you sail the more experience you will get. If you can sail regularly on a race boat you will learn how to set sails, navigate, work the tides, etc.

I am of a similar age to you, but I sail singlehanded most of the time. You need to learn confidence in your own abilities and how to overcome problems as they happen. That is where experience comes in to help build confidence. OK, I started sailing in 1965 on my parent's boat and by the end of the decade I was racing in cruisers and dinghies. All of this helped in learning how far to push the boat, well beyond a cruiser's norm. Later when when I stopped racing, then I went fast cruising - which I still do today.

You have already taken your first step to becoming addicted to sailing. Hope you enjoy the ride. Do not worry about asking questions, stupid or not, as the better informed you get will make you a better owner and sailor.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/