Westerley Centaur renovate or not?

apexblue7
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Easterly

Westerley Centaur renovate or not?

Post by apexblue7 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi folks,
I dont yet own one of these boats but would like to and I have seen 4 in as many weeks where I am based in North Wales priced from £3000 to £8000 and although 1 or 2 were in average condition I have not yet bought one I liked enough, as first impressions did not count. I did offer £2500 on a project boat but was gazumped on it. The problem I have got is that the recently refurbished Centaurs are all in the South of the country and most over £10K and I am not prepared to view boats that far afield.
Can any of you who own these boats give me any idea what sort of budget I would need for a complete internal refurbishment done at a boat yard?
Steve

Willhc
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Westerley Centaur renovate or not?

Post by Willhc » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Having just got a quote for a new engine (and all associated parts to be fitted) of £6500, there is a starting shot.

Look at the keels (rebedding)/keel bolts/reinforcing the inside braces. (Not had to on mine.)

Look at standing rigging and furler gear for headsail. Approx £650 for standing rigging, plus fitting. Replacement plastimo is £470 for the full set (less if some parts can be reused - alloy extrusion could on mine, saving £100, but drum and cheeks were split through age).

Nav lighting, vhf, depth/speed also have a cost if replacements needed.

Replacement seacocks/skin fittings - rough assumption of £100 per fitting for all parts in De-zinc brass.

Headlining... look at Hawkehouse for cost of kits (excludes labour) or you could go for the battening option as others have done.

Upholstery inside - a nice to have!

As for sails... also worth considering what you are getting included if you want something that will pull the boat along. Approx £900 for headsail and a bit more for a main.

Running rigging - again - cost of strong can add up if it needs replacing.

So, in summary, and assuming the hull is in good nick, money can be spent anywhere. If it all needs doing and is done with new replacement and paid labour, it is expensive. If it is over time and you can enjoy the boat as you go along, it becomes a cost of owning a 40+ year old boat.

Good luck with your search.

apexblue7
AntiSpam Text: Easterly

Post by apexblue7 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks for your reply but I would make sure the engine is a replacement with already reinforced keeps and preferably with a new headlining. I really wanted a cost for changing the interior fabrics and flooring.?
Steve.

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Steve

The best advice has always been buy the best condition boat, even though it costs more. If everything is right, then you know exactly what it is going to cost you. With any renovation project, especially when a yard is involved, the cost indication is a guesstimate and could be wildly under the final cost. So if you have deep pockets, then buy a renovation Centaur and later found it cost a lot more than buying the best example. Renovations are usually for people who are on a strict budget, but have skills and plenty of time to do the work. My Fulmar has now cost more that if I had bought the last one produced that was 13 years newer. No doubt there would have been some money spent if I had gone the best condition route. However I have spent thousands of hours working on my boat and none of this has been costed in. I budgeted £12,000, but it has now cost £23,000 and I still have several thousand still to spend.

The interior upholstery can be changed , but the price will depend on where you go. 3 marine upholsterers all quoted from £2500 depending on the fabric. By asking around my marina, I was advised by several people to use a particular local business. In this case he would not supply the fabric, but would supply new foam and labour for making up. So I sourced an identical fabric on eBay to the sample from one of the marine upholsterers. The fabric is also used by furniture manufacturers for seating for old peoples homes, so is nothing unusual. My new upholstery cost just under £800, so a huge saving.

With regard to the flooring, what is wrong it? If it is rotten, then yes it needs changing. If it is tired and badly marked, then it depends on your skills and ability to refurbish them. Another alternative would be to use a short pile carpet like Flotex to cover them. Make sure not will trap moisture under the carpet. To make new floorboards is a skilled job, but not beyond an amateur woodworker as you can use the originals as templates. Just make sure you use good quality marine plywood from Robbins of Bristol (www.robbins.co.uk) as much so called marine ply is not up to standard to withstand higher moisture levels.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/