Another new Westerly owner

Hardover
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Another new Westerly owner

Post by Hardover » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:07 am

Hi all,
have just become the new owner of a Westerly GK29, the family cruiser version. We're travelling down today to take a really good hard look at her to see what needs doing prior to sailing her 200nm + to her new home.
We're moving up from a folkboat so hope the GK29 will be as exhilarating to sail.

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Another new Westerly owner

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 am

Welcome to becoming a Westerly Owner.

If you have not yet joined the Association, you will find that worthwhile. The biggest bonus is the special insurance scheme with added benefits compared to their standard policy - and you get a discount larger than the membership fee!

You will enjoy sailing the GK29, but in a different way to the Folkboat. Michael Pocock was the designer, and my parents built a racing Starlight 30 which was his next design of a similar size, but with a counter stern. So that's how confident I am you will enjoy sailing your GK29.

Where are you sailing from and where will her home berth be? A photo of the boat would be nice as well.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Hardover
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Another new Westerly owner

Post by Hardover » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:44 am

Thank you. Our home port will be Berwick upon Tweed, overwintering at Eyemouth. Just have to get her up there from the Humber. We had a good look at her this weekend and were pleasantly surprised, especially so as she went a long time between inspections. She needs a good clean, rub down and polish as the gel coat has oxidised but we'll leave that until she's craned out at Eyemouth at the end of the coming season. There is a good array of navigation equipment, some which looks to be brand new. She's had new sea cocks fitted, new heads, even a 240v/12v fridge. I think I may lose that at some point - takes up too much space. I suspect I may need to replace the batteries and devise a method of trickle charging them.
All in all we're quite excited and looking forward to sailing her. Will be incredible luxury compared to our folkboat!
There was a strange odour when we first went down below - mainly due to copious amounts of dried vomit! The seller did say his wife went out once and would never set foot in her again.