Konsort Duo advice

Rodstewart
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Konsort Duo advice

Post by Rodstewart » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi everybody
Just joined the forum. Looking to possibly buy a Konsort Duo. There must be a lot of experience out there about what to look out for? Are there any inherent problems?
There are a few on the market but all look to be asking a lot for 30 year old boats. I am down sizing from a 38 foot boat that took me 4 years to sell in this market.

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: Konsort Duo advice

Post by philipstevens » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:32 pm

We owned KD22 for 12 years with no problems, other than rebuilding the VP2003.

Being a motor-sailer, the engine can be used more often than that of a Konsort sailer.

There is nothing wrong with the VP2003 so long as it has not been excessively used just ticking over while motor sailing. We used to run the engine, when not just sailing, at about 2500revs. Very rarely did we use full power - you do not get a lot of extra speed while using a load of fuel!

Clean prop and clean bottom would give us 7knots, so we usually went at no more than 6 to 6.5 knots.

We even did some sailing without the engine, where the boat could trot along at around 5 knots!!

Make sure that the cockpit well has good non-return drain valves, as it will get about 3 inches of water in when motoring, if the valves leak-by.

Remember that the Duo is a heavy boat when full of fuel and water - 50 and 100gallons.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

Joseespin

Post by Joseespin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 pm

I have just buy one KD99!

We have got empty and checking every site, she looks great!!

I think this is a great boat on this size!

Rodstewart

Post by Rodstewart » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:25 am

Is that the one that was down in Spain? If so I was looking at that also. Looks like you had a good buy as a lot of equipment had been updated.
I would be interested to hear how you get on?
The few that are for sale in the UK have mostly got original engines and rigging.

Happy sailing!

Fidget
AntiSpam Text: Westerle

Post by Fidget » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:10 am

The July edition of Yachting Monthly carried a review of the Westerly Konsort. That was a good and encouraging review, but the Duo received only a brief mention. I consequently wrote to the editor of YM singing the praises of Duo, as follows:

"The July Used Boat Test of the Westerly Konsort only mentions the Duo version in passing. The Duo was designed for use by a couple (hence the name) with additional accommodation for a crew member and occasional visitors. The design overcomes several of the issues mentioned in the test, and much more besides. The most noticeable benefit is the lovely deck saloon which provides masses of light and 360 degree views, and its roof provides yet more deck space. It also has a larger heads with H&C pressurised water, shower and mirrored bulkhead. The engine is bigger (28 bhp), and the fuel and water capacities are double those of the standard Konsort. On deck, there is an anchor locker, double bow roller, windlass and double midships cleats. The for'ard cabin has a proper double berth (not vee), a dressing table, wardrobe and shoe locker. There is a single crew berth, but the table in the saloon also converts to a double berth. The linear galley is spacious and has a double sink. There are two large cockpit lockers (one in the standard version) and a huge cavity for storage under the saloon floor. Control lines are all led back to the cockpit. With wheel steering inside the deck saloon and a tiller in the cockpit, the Duo is a motor-sailor suitable for sailing in all weathers."

Good luck with your search for a Duo......
Paul Driver, Fidget KD 25.

Rodstewart

Post by Rodstewart » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies!
Was really looking for any inherent problems with a boat of this age but everybody seems very happy so far.
I did read the report on the konsort in YM and it gives me a good start.
As there were only about 100 built there are not as many on the market as konsorts or fulmars, but I am in the nice position of having sold my boat and can look for something that suits!

Joseespin

Post by Joseespin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Rod!

Yes! Mine is the one which was for sale in Spain!

I am not very happy with the engine by now, so we are modifying the pitch on prop, so hopefully she can run more than 5knots. But the main worries we could have in a boat purchase (hull, engine, sails, electronics... ) are perfect! The last owner did the treatment for the osmosis on the hull, and it looks really good.

We are changing all tha upholstery and headlining and painting and polishing the deck. So we hope to finish all in some weeks.

I bought to an English man who was member of this forum.

Well, I just can tell you that the condition of the hull (osmosis) or the engine could be the worst problem you could have.

Good luck!