How safe Pageant is?

JoPasko
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

How safe Pageant is?

Post by JoPasko »

Hello to All.
Me and my husband are new owners of Westerly Pageant.
It may sound as silly question but answer can give me a bit more confidence, when sailing with my crazy man and kids.
Where is that "safe place" where you can have water line when leaning in going up wind?
I'm sure there is plenty of experienced sailors here that tried their Pageants for maximum...
How high you have had water without capsizing? ;)
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: How safe Pageant is?

Post by Jolly Roger »

Welcome to the Westerly Association Owners Forum.

There are no silly questions, but worries that need to be calmed. The Pageant is a very stable design with an almost 50% ballast ratio. When you go sailing the boat will move forward and lean over, this is quite normal. It may feel strange to have the boat heel but the weight in the keels will keep you in stable equilibrium. It will not tip over. I have not sailed a Pageant, but on a windy day, I would expect the water to come two thirds up the topsides. Any more will mean you either have the sails too tight or you need to reduce the sail area. Generally you will feel it seems too much.

In the past I have done a lot of offshore racing and have pushed the limit of stability on numerous occasions. In the last 50 years I have gone to the limit only twice. Once on a 30ft racing yacht in a recorded Force 10 to 11 whilst still under full main and spinnaker, resulted in putting the mast in the water - but she came up right easily. The second was in a 22ft extreme racing yacht, again under spinnaker and full main with far too much wind. During a spinnaker gybe a guest crew did not do as he was instructed and caused the boat to tip over. As I was by the mast, I stood on the keel to assist righting her - but we did not stop racing! Later with a double reefed main and storm jib we were still planing at about 10 to 12 knots (something a Pageant cannot do).

So you will never approach situations like these whilst you are sailing. A Pageant will not capsize in coastal sailing, so learn to relax with it and enjoy the experience.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane »

If it's leaning over so far it's inefficient sailing and the boat will be making lots of leeway.

It may be exciting getting the rubbing strake in the water but it's not good. It's also not good to frighten your crew, you end up sailing single handed.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

Basically, if the lee gunwale is dipping into the water more than occasionally, you need to reef. The boat will be overpowered, hard to steer and going sideways as well so you can often make better progress to windward reefed than unreefed. Of course, when you bear away you may find that you need to shake out the reef again.

Any boat with a heavy keel can't be capsized by the force of the wind alone. As it leans over more there's less sail exposed to the wind, and the righting force from the keel gets bigger. It reaches an equilibrium part-way over. If that's too much heel for you, reef or bear away.

Do make sure that your sails are set properly first though!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
JoPasko
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by JoPasko »

Thank you for answers!
I strongly believe that our boat is very safe or I wouldn't take my kids for sailing :)
It just that I prefer to believe in others people's experiences than in my personal feelings or hehe...science ; ).
I also didn't used to motorboats going 2 meters from my starboard (was inland sailor until now) so connection of waves and leaning makes me unsure.
Your words made me a bit more chilled out.
I thinking that every hour on my yacht is working on my favour, as we get to know better.
Hopefully soon, I won't have concerns of this kind.