Centaur "TYRO" back in action

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur "TYRO" back in action

Post by TyroSailor »

TYRO of Dell Quay, the boat I bought over two years ago and which has featured in several threads on this forum since then, had her first trip since July 2015 this week. She has a new engine, new rigging and a few other improvements: I've been copiously advised about these by several WOA members and I'm grateful for all your help. Particular thanks are due to:

sgr143 of Osprey who has given up a lot of his time, including driving from Oxford to Southampton just to spend a day helping me,
JollyRoger of Concerto who gave up a morning to chat to me in his cockpit, as well as lending me an expensive piece of gear (and lots of advice on here) and
CentaurOlly who drove over from Dorset to help with the launch in January (together with sgr).

Thanks, chaps.

The fact that a sheet winch has jammed and hauling on the jibsheet has strained my back, putting me out of action pro tem is neither here nor there!
DSCN4235_opt.jpg
DSCN4235_opt.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Last edited by TyroSailor on Wed May 10, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
Jolly Roger

Re: Centaur "TYRO" back in action

Post by Jolly Roger »

Glad to be of assistance. As you will find out, no boat is ever finished, as more things keep being added to the list.

Steve, I hope you get lots of sea miles sailing in this year.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane »

Jolly Roger wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 3:01 pm As you will find out, no boat is ever finished, as more things keep being added to the list.
Amen to that.

Glad you are back afloat and enjoying your hard work.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

Yep. The current To Do list:

Return rigging tension gauge to Roger
Discuss with Hillary the design and production of new portlight hinges
Adjust rigging tension and lock screws
Ensure spreaders are at the correct angle & fix
Solve problem of jib not hoisting fully
Ditto main
Dismantle and service starboard winch (and port, probably)
Get Bob to check engine alignment
...and fuel return pipe
Make & fit new gasket for coolant intake
Sort out leak from below there
Work out how & where to store solar panels
Connect old engine stop cable to fuel cut-off
Rig dodgers & second lifebuoy
Straighten cheeks & overhaul bow roller
Tidy up and clean whole boat!
Acquire & fit jackstays
Overhaul 12V wiring
Fit solar charging sockets for both batteries
Clean around exhaust outlet
Remove old stern gland greaser & pipe
Acquire/renovate & fit tacho & temp gauge
Touch up damaged areas of topside paint
Repaint whole topsides (eventually)
…and antifoul (annually or biennially)
Scrub bottom (probably biannually)
Sell old propeller
Try again to sell old engine or parts thereof
Remove chipped/cracked/peeling non-slip paint
Repaint with non-slip paint
Repair all chips and cracks in gel coat
Renovate and polish gel coat
Ditto & oil teak grab handles & rubbing strake
Find and cure leaks through cockpit seats
Fix lifebuoy light
Install extra cleats on foredeck
Ditto amidships
Clean, repair, renovate & oil rubbing strakes
Make leadline
Terminate guardrails correctly & tension
Lead lines aft (needs blocks, winch(es) & cleats)
Replace galley, fo’c’sle & heads lights with LEDs
Fit bunk light for stbd quarter berth
Get manual for radio/CD player
Install shore power system inc. battery charger
Clean out FW tank & pipes
Refit (overhauled/new?) FW foot pump
Clean & paint all lockers
Ditto stbd quarter berth
Secure bookcase
Fill old holes to stbd of companionway
Rebuild cabin sole to reinforce & incl. hatches
Install calorifier
Install cabin heater
Replace gas bin with proper locker
Seal lazarette lid closure
Correct charts
All the other things I haven’t thought of yet
GO SAILING!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
SeaBear

Post by SeaBear »

I am currently making my way to Dell Quay from Falmouth, with my new to me Centaur Sea Bear. I have been weather bound at Dartmouth due to this pesky Easterly wind. Hopefully I will get there this Monday as this weekends forecast is favourable. I will look forward to making your acquaintance at some point. I'll be on a swing mooring courtesy of Wyche Marine.
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

Hello Sea Bear :)

Glad to hear you have a Centaur - people keep telling me that it's a great boat, but I've not yet been able to confirm that from personal experience!

Tyro is not at Dell Quay, but at Kemp's Quay in the River Itchen, Southampton. I suppose she must have been registered there originally, but she was at Langstone when I bought her: I think she's spent a lot of her life around that area. Nevertheless, we could get together some time. Maybe we should arrange a rally for Centaurs in the Solent. There are four of them in my marina!

Bon voyage for the rest of your trip: it's axiomatic that when you actually want a westerly wind in the Channel we have high pressure and it's easterly! But there are worse places to be stuck. Are you on your own?

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
SeaBear

Post by SeaBear »

I was on my own, and I am brand new to this. So while waiting for things to change, I over thought everything, got warned rigid about the Portland Race, got my under crackers in a knot and put out a call for help. Me and my new skipper set off on Friday.

I understand that there are a few Centaurs in and around Dell Quay. Remember also that the sub South Coast group are very active in rallies and group get togethers, so I am sure we will run into each other sooner, rather than later.

I hope you get to enjoy Tyro on the water soon. We will have to compare notes as I haven't really had a chance to see Sea Bear in her true colours yet. Although saying that, its been horrible so far in relation to sea conditions, and she looked after me royally.

I think their reputation just might be valid and true. Its why we both bought one. :D
Centaurolly

Post by Centaurolly »

Glad to hear you got some sail time Steve and sorry to hear about your back! I've been having a ball on mine, slightly poignantly as in a moment of life turning round to kick me in the ass I got the news last week that I need an operation and I'm basically going to be laid out for the next four months, two to prepare and two to recover.

So on weds Im lifting the boat to leave her on hardstanding for the rest of the summer as I don't want to be worrying about her on a swing mooring.

The upside is I'm going to have time to learn how to sew so can sort her sails out, and the enforced rest means I'll have time to do all my theory courses.

Would much rather ditch all that and just go sailing though!
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

Blimey! Four months off for an op seems a bit excessive! Hope it goes well.

Theory courses highly recommended. When you've learned how to sew properly you can teach me if you like. I can just about manage buttons.

Hope you got home OK Sea Bear :)

Finally sold the old engine (via ebay) and sent it off today. Now I hope I can go sailing. Just a few dozen more jobs to do. Crew would be nice as well.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton