Hello from new Centaur owner (South West) !

Sharon
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Hello from new Centaur owner (South West) !

Post by Sharon » Mon May 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi,

Thank you for accepting me to the forum :-)

I've just purchased a Centaur called 'Galatea' from a lovely old man who sadly had to give her up as he's struggling with health issues. (I didn't know that at the time - was bought through a broker and only met the previous owner after the deal was sealed). He seems to have had her for a very long time and taken good care of her, so I think I've been quite lucky.

She's currently ashore in Plymouth, I plan to move her to Weymouth to stay on over the summer.

There are obviously going to be a few tweaks, I've tried searching the forum but just wondered if there's better search phrasing I should be using for advice on the following:

- Replacing all pipework, heads oulet / inlet etc, before it starts to smell, is there a 'standard' size or do I just need to take everything off and measure it ? The heads is a Simpson Lawrence SL400 with Blakes sea cocks, which seem to move freely, and I'm assured have been serviced.

- Re-rigging sails which have been taken off for the winter - I'm hoping this will be fairly obvious once I make a start but is there an 'Idiots Guide' anywhere ?

- Any particular cleaning products which are good for removing the slight mould build up on the inside of what I'm going to refer to as my 'guest rooms' - the two aft bunks ?

If anyone is around the Plymouth area and would like to show me any hints & tips that would be great, please do get in contact! I'll also be asking for help to move her but will post that in the crew section.

Thanks,
Sharon

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Hello from new Centaur owner (South West) !

Post by rogerball0 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Sharon & welcome aboard :)

Regarding the heads pipework its 3/4" internal diameter (inlet) and 1 1/2" internal diameter (outlet), heres a manual from slspares.co.uk:

http://slspares.co.uk/pdf/Website%20Man ... 00-401.pdf

Rigging, i've got this book its very easy to understand:

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Rigging-Danilo ... at+rigging

Also have a look at the RYA series on rigging and sail trim

Regarding cleaning I've always used diluted bleach and warm water to get rid of mould spores.

Hope this helps

roger

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks, will have a look.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon May 01, 2017 11:28 pm

Sharon

Welcome to the world of Westerly ownership and this forum.

Roger Ball's advice is good. However I would suggest keeping in contact with the old owner. He would be thrilled to know how you are finding the boat, especially as he is not in good health, plus he may be able to give advice or tips over the phone. He may even be able to come down to the boat and show you how things work.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Wed May 03, 2017 10:53 am

That's a good idea. I would never (well, maybe eventually) have fathomed out how to get the mainsail trough on if the previous owner hadn't shown me.

Dettol (other brands may be available) mould and mildew remover was very effective at ... er... removing mould and mildew from my lockers and quarter berths.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton