History of a Centaur

SeaBear
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

History of a Centaur

Post by SeaBear » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Hello everyone.

I hope you are well.

This is my very first post and its advice I am after.

The Centaur I am in the middle of purchasing has very little history. The nice chap at WOA who runs the database has been most helpful, but neither of us have bore fruit regarding sail number or yard number, despite there being a thorough game of "hunt the number". I have found out that there has been a name change. She was registered in 1977 at the port of Inverness, under the name of Highland Lady. She was on the register of ships (part one surprisingly) up until her entry was closed 2002. Somewhere along the line, her name has been changed (maybe more than once) and she is currently called Sea Bear and is in Cornwall. The previous owner was a member of this association but did not register ownership of a boat.

So...is there anyone within this forum who might be able to fill in any gaps at all?

Any information gratefully received

Jonathan

Jolly Roger

Re: History of a Centaur

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:19 am

Jonathan

Welcome to the WOA Forum.

Trying to find out history of a boat is very difficult. You may just strike lucky and find someone who remembers the boat, but it will be very unlikely they would know the sail number, let alone a yard number.

The boat itself is the most likely source of any information. Have you looked at the mainsail, as this may have the sail number. A yard number should be moulded in the transom (lower edge near the centre line) and at the base of the forward side of the cockpit well (it may be behind a cockpit grating). Is there a builders plate on the main bulkhead, again this will give some information. Then start looking at all the loose woodwork, like locker tops under the berths, as the yard number was written on all parts. Also look at the water and fuel tank, as these are usually marked. Somewhere you will find the yard number, but this most likely will not be the same as the sail number. Yard numbers are to find all components to fit to the boat during building, but sail numbers were issued in the order the boats were completed.

The only other source I can think that might provide some information is the Lloyds Register of Shipping. An annual book of yachts was definitely published in the 1960's, as I have a couple of volumes from this period. Check www.abebooks.co.uk and ebay to see if a copy from 1978 or slightly later is for sale.

Best of luck in solving this riddle, but it is not that critical to the condition of the boat you are looking at and is not a stumbling block to stop your purchase of this Centaur.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

JayT
Site Admin
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by JayT » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 am

Hi all. As Jonathan has kindly alluded, we have spoken on this extensively, and have so far been unable to get any further.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I will have to correct Roger on some of this.
A yard number should be moulded in the transom (lower edge near the centre line) and at the base of the forward side of the cockpit well (it may be behind a cockpit grating).
Not so. This will be the hull number.
Is there a builders plate on the main bulkhead,
There is a yard number plate, usually screwed to the companionway, but sometimes screwed to the bulkhead. It can be referred to as a builders plate, but the number on it will be the yard number. I have sent a picture of a Centaur yard number plate to Jonathan, but unfortunately, Sea Bear does not have this plate, though he has yet to have the opportunity to look at locker lids and trim panels.
but this most likely will not be the same as the sail number
Again, for a Centaur, of this vintage, they will match. Unlike Roger's Fulmar, Centaurs after about 1973 had matching sail and yard numbers - albeit that the sail will have "CR" and a number, where the yard number will be prefixed with a K.

Caroline Hardy of Trafalgar Yachts has asked that I post the following information.
I have looked through the ledger for Centaurs between CR1600 and CR2000 and only found 3 possible contenders:
CR1932, West Highland Yachts, Fort William
CR1767 & 1768, Loch Ness Yacht Charters, Inverness
I have in turn checked our database, and we do not have any of these sail numbers listed in our records. Realistically, all this means is that WOA has no knowledge of them, either because the owners were never members of WOA, or if they were, they did not offer a sail number. For this reason, I am reluctant to add a boat to the database unless we can uniquely identify it. I stress reluctant!
Regards
Tim
Webmaster & Admin Office

SeaBear

Post by SeaBear » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:36 am

Thank you both for your responses.

I am thoroughly heartened by the message from Caroline Hardy. I was surprised to find Sea Bear (nee Highland Lady) on part one of the Small Ships Register. However, it would make complete sense if she was purchased and registered as a commercial enterprise, such as a yacht charter company. Funnily enough, and it's a thing that makes her very appealing to me, she is very much true to her original spec (bar a replacement engine), almost as hire boats were.

I'll take CR1767 and have done with it. Is that ok? hahahaha

The hunt continues. She is pencilled in to go back in the water on 21st April. I will obviously be there for that and as excited as an excited thing. I will hopefully be having my first nights sleep on her. I will take this opportunity to check as much of her as I possibly can, in the hope of sourcing the illusive sail/yard number.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Jonathan

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:52 pm

JayT wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 am
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I will have to correct Roger on some of this.
Guilty as charged. I stand corrected.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/