canal du midi France

rickybabe
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

canal du midi France

Post by rickybabe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:53 am

Has anyone gone through the canal du midi in a centaur? I was thinking of this as a late summer trip.
Years ago Rick Stein did this on a barge, cooking on his way down to the Med. Anyway, if anyone has
done this please contact me. richard hart post on the site,
thanks
Last edited by rickybabe on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: canal du midi France

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Please, for your own safety, remove your phone number and email address. Get people to contact you by Private Message for your contact details.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:45 pm

I have some friends who went through in a Trapper 500 (Fin) which is a deeper draft....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

bobevans
AntiSpam Text: Opposite

Post by bobevans » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:00 am

I have done this in a Corsair, as has another Corsair owner of this Parish. Draft 1.5 metres. Ran aground several times but got through. You should have no problems with a Centaur

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 am

Good morning,
We ( my wife and I ) went through the Canal du Midi ( via the Gironde river, and Canal lateral de la Garonne ) in 2009 in our Corsair. Had our mast taken down in Royan and shipped to to a yard in Agde. It was a great trip, not without its issues, not least trying to reach the first lock in the Garonne when the river was in full spate due to the spring melt. Once in however it was superb, and we were thanked by many lock keepers for 'ploughing' the bottom for them. We draw 5 feet and so your Centaur should be fine. Go in the spring when there aren't so many tourist boats, and prepare to be patient. The WOA kindly published our story in the Spring 2010 magazine.
Regards
Barry

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:47 pm

I want to do the same thing. Take my Centaur through the Canal du Midi - It will be a while before I am ready. I have a lot to do to the boat to get it into a fit state for such a trip first - starting with a new engine. I am thinking of taking a whole summer over the trip in about 3 years time.
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149