Chiron of Mann is sold

aquaplane
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Chiron of Mann is sold

Post by aquaplane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm no longer a Westerly owner, I sold my Centaur a couple of weeks ago to a chap who is keeping it in Tarbert for now.

I will miss the shallow draught, ease of handling and lower bills of the Centaur but the Jeanneau is a different boat altogether.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Nigel Birch
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: Chiron of Mann is sold

Post by Nigel Birch » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:11 pm

You know that there are lots of Westerly Owners that don't own Westerlies anymore. We won't exclude you!
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Best of luck with your Jeanneau, but I wonder how long it will take for you to buy another Westerly when you compare the build quality.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:22 am

It may be heresy but there is nothing special about Westerly build quality.

Over engineered because they didn't understand what they were working with may be a better description.

Then they shot themselves in the foot trying to be a custom builder for production line prices. The french did a better job and then the Germans.

The Jeanneau is only 3 years newer than the Centaur so everything is much the same. Systems need replacing and upgrading, the foam backing on the lining is crumbling, but it's going to be a better boat to live on when it's right.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:57 am

Sorry Bob, but I strongly disagree. I bought new a Feeling 286 in 1987 and on first view it seemed fine, but time told otherwise.

The structure of the hull was very flexible with the lack of bulkheads offering little support for the open plan look. There was an internal moulded floor, similar to current AWB's. The glassfibre battery box was set on wet mat directly on the unprepared floor moulding and in rough weather it broke free. All it needed was some adhesive and self tappers to secure it in place.

Generally the design was clever, except the bow mooring fixings. It was so badly designed that it was impossible to stop chafe on the mooring strops. This led to major damage to the boat within 6 months of launching - to the point of almost sinking with a crack from within the cockpit and down the topsides almost to the waterline.The main bulkhead was at the aft end of the coachroof and the crack was just behind it and the hull was only about 6mm thick.The basic boat cost £24,000 and the repair cost the insurance company £12,000. It also turned up more manufacturing faults. The hull moulding had been badly cut and when the deck and alloy toe rail were fitted together, the rivets in places did not connect with the hull flange as it had been cut away. The top of the rudder post was unsupported and would have caused a failure at some time in the future. The woodwork was all manufactured from pre varnished plywood, but during the first few months water stained the elm veneers black all along the lower edges.

Do I need to go on, but after waiting for 18 months for the boat to be fully repaired, I kept it for another season before getting rid of it. The build quality was supposed to be better than other French boats of the time, but with my experience I doubt if I would ever buy a boat of similar construction.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by rogerball0 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Its a tough one regarding build quality, i don't want to do Westerly down but the build quality on my Centaur was awful, its what got me banned for life from YBW.com when everyone ganged up on me - still makes me laugh! I don't doubt for a second JR that your feeling yacht was built badly but hey the Brits can build badly too!

The amount of rotten timber and laminate i've pulled from my Centaur over the years still makes me cringe but i certainly wouldn't broadcast the fact seeing as secondhand values on the floor as it is. YMMV.