New Renown Owner -a few queries

Hull_O_036
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Hull_O_036 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi all,
Pulled our new acquisition out of the water last week- Westerly Renown "Kassandra" (Hull O 36) - and I found some things that seem a bit odd:

1: the half skeg appears to be screwed to the hull by a ring of 4m bolts. There were no nuts on the inside, however, just the top of the bolts that looked as if they had been ground off flush to the grp. Is this normal? Are there captive nuts in the grp?
2: the steering is transmitted from the wheel to the rudder post via a solid bar linkage. I believe this is a later adaptation by another owner that has also led to alteration of the port side fuel tank.
3: fuel tank vent lines run to where? I lifted the falsebottom in the port side cockpit locker, expecting to see them, but they weren't there.
4: all the places you can't access. The v berth, for example, seems to have long voids running under the "shelf" bit. The molding behind the loo seems a bit of wasted space, too. Can I open up these areas and put in cuddies?
All comments appreciated!

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:15 am

Welcome to the Westerly Owners Forum.

The only one of your queries can I answer definitely. Westerly are well known to fibreglass over any nuts as protection against leaks. The end result is if you need to change any fitting you have to cut the fibreglass away with a Dremel. You will find this a joy (not) when something needs work on.

The fuel tank will have a vent. Look for a small chrome raised domed fitting about 20mm in diameter. Check on the side of the coachroof or cockpit side.

Someone else should be able to advise on your other queries.

Happy sailing.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Hull_O_036

Post by Hull_O_036 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:03 am

Jolly Roger wrote:Welcome to the Westerly Owners Forum.

The only one of your queries can I answer definitely. Westerly are well known to fibreglass over any nuts as protection against leaks. The end result is if you need to change any fitting you have to cut the fibreglass away with a Dremel. You will find this a joy (not) when something needs work on.

The fuel tank will have a vent. Look for a small chrome raised domed fitting about 20mm in diameter. Check on the side of the coachroof or cockpit side.

Someone else should be able to advise on your other queries.

Happy sailing.
Thanks for the reply and the welcome, Jolly Roger. I will keep looking!

Vegable

Post by Vegable » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:25 am

I'm visiting my son in Oz at the moment so can't refer to my notes.
From memory hull O36 is one of the very first Renowns if not the first.
Have a look at the Westerly Wiki under Renown. I wrote a lot of info about the Renown on there. Also have a look at this link about the steering which I wrote
http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/woafor ... f=3&t=1173
Yours is definitely not standard.
The skeg, on mine hull number 243, the skeg was screwed into the fibreglass with no nuts behind it and then the screws were covered with filler. When I did the osmosis protection in the early 90s it was removed and when refitted it was simply propped up in place and glassed in.
Fuel vents on mine was about 4mm dia tube running from the top of the tanks and went into the port locker and just stopped. I never had any problems with it...maybe just lucky?
Not sure what you mean by the void under the V berths shelf. Under the berths themselves is the water tank. Under the wooden shelves above the bunks on each side, there isn't a void. It's the "cod head" shape at the bow which gives you the berth room. Can you be a little clearer? I'd also be wary of cutting into the other voids as they could be part of the strength and bracing of the hull and mast supports. It was something I never played about with.
If your boat is R1 the first Renown, I do know that it was rushed out for the London boat show and a few odd things were done and corners were cut to get it ready in time!
Hope this is of some use. Don't hesitate to come back if you want more answers. I sold my Renown a few years ago now so might not remember it all but someone on here will.
Have fun with it. You've got a great boat, as safe as houses, built like the proverbial outside loo, and you'll break before she will.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"

Hull_O_036

Post by Hull_O_036 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:31 am

Vegable wrote:I'm visitting my son in Oz at the moment so can't refer to my notes.
From memory hull O36 is one of the very first Renowns if not the first.
Have a look at the Westerly Wiki under Renown. I wrote alot of info about the Renown on there. Also have a look at this link about the steering which I wrote
http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/woafor ... f=3&t=1173
Yours is definately not standard.
The skeg, on mine hull number 243, the skeg was screwed into the fibreglass with no nuts behind it and then the screws were covered with filler. When I did the osmosis protection in the early 90s it was removed and when refitted it was simply propped up in place and glassed in.
Fuel vents on mine was about 4mm dia tube running from the top of the tanks and went into the port locker and just stopped. I never had any problems with it...maybe just lucky?
Not sure what you mean by the void under the V berths shelf. Under the berths themselves is the water tank. Under the wooden shelves above the bunks on each side, there isn't a void. It's the "cod head" shape at the bow which gives you the berth room. Can you be a little clearer? I'd also be wary of cutting into the other voids as they could be part of the strength and bracing of the hull and mast supports. It was something I never played about with.
If your boat is R1 the first Renown, I do know that it was rushed out for the London boat show and a few odd things were done and corners were cut to get it ready in time!
Hope this is of some use. Don't hesitate to come back if you want more answers. I sold my Renown a few years ago now so might not remember it all but someone on here will.
Have fun with it. You've got a great boat, as safe as houses, built like the proverbial outside loo, and you'll break before she will.
Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the info. Am glad to hear your skeg was fitted the same as the one. I could hardly believe it when I saw there were no nuts on the inside! Obviously it's meant to be like that if there two of them!
This is certainly an early hull. It was purchased / built to order for the Merrill- Stevens boat yard in Miami, April 19, 1972. It has crossed the Atlantic a few times since then. We found a small bag of courtesy flags and some partial logs on board. It was owned for many years by a Mr. A. Maher of Liverpool and, I would guess, very well maintained by the same until it was sold in 2006 or 7. It has had the odd bump and there is no anode anywhere to be seen, but other than that it is a fabulous boat. The sink outlet through hull sheared off pretty much of its own accord the day after lift out. A narrow escape. Now all the original phosphor bronze fittings are out, along with the original phosphor bronze prop shaft, and shiny new ones will go in along with an anode as soon as I can get them ordered.
Have yet to pull the pedestal apart and think I might save that for a time when all the below water stuff is done. I am a bit concerned that there is not much "lock" on the rudder. It only seems to move about 40 - 45 degrees from centre: a result of the steering modification?
The good news is the dynastart works and following an oil, fuel and filters change, the original md2b purrs nicely.

TorRenown

Re: New Renown Owner -a few queries

Post by TorRenown » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Robin, as the owner of Renown hull 030 and sail number R1 I can answer most of your questions. I have rod steering that wasn't standard which the previous owner fitted I shall take some photos for you in the next couple of days I find it works well and have about 3 turns lock to lock. The v berth sides can be cut open to make lockers this is something I have done and easy to do. The newer models had lockers fitted in the heads behind the loo which is something I haven't got round to doing yet. The skeg is just there to protect the rudder and doesn't do any for the boat I'm 90% sure mine is the same as yours you'll see some for sail without them. My fuel tank is a single tank however others I've seen have two maybe that's because mine was rushed to the boat that's why she only had one. It has no effect on the steering. The best thing I have found to do is look at all Renowns, pentlands, Berwicks and longbows for sail you'll get some good ideas for mods any more questions feel free to ask. Regards Graham

TorRenown

Post by TorRenown » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:42 pm

Regarding the fuel tank vent, mine is in the port hand cockpit locker tucked in the aft corner it's only a clear plastic tube. I have removed the floor boards in the stbd cockpit locker to allow me to stow my fenders.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:18 pm

I'd've thought 45 degrees each way was plenty to turn the rudder...?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

TorRenown

Post by TorRenown » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 pm

As promised here are some photos of my steering system let me know if yours is the same
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hull_O_036

Post by Hull_O_036 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Can't believe I didn't see this until now. Yes, this is the same linkage system as in our boat - but the holes in the panels for the linkage seem a bit more DIY / after market. Just messily glassed in and as if things had to be re-worked to make the panels fit around the linkage. Our fuel tanks are quite different. I take it you have got a shiny new one. *Envy*

TorRenown

Post by TorRenown » Wed May 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Hull_O_036 wrote:Can't believe I didn't see this until now. Yes, this is the same linkage system as in our boat - but the holes in the panels for the linkage seem a bit more DIY / after market. Just messily glassed in and as if things had to be re-worked to make the panels fit around the linkage. Our fuel tanks are quite different. I take it you have got a shiny new one. *Envy*
£250 for the new fuel tank took down the old one and he made it to the same size fitted straight in one of the easiest jobs!
This is totally after market but he was an engineer so did a good job. Just a shame I now need to change my rudder bushes!!

Hull_O_036

Post by Hull_O_036 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:17 pm

I gotta show you the Heath Robinson stuff we inherited.... Will take pics sooooooon. Still working on putting them on the youtube.

TorRenown

Post by TorRenown » Wed May 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Hull_O_036 wrote:I gotta show you the Heath Robinson stuff we inherited.... Will take pics sooooooon. Still working on putting them on the youtube.
Send them through messenger it's killing me!! Lol