WARNING - Attempted Fraud

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

WARNING - Attempted Fraud

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:05 pm

Good day all, and happy new year

You might like to know that I have just escaped being the victim of a fraud which started with an advert on the WOA site.

I advertised an engine for sale and was approached via email by one 'Willie Burs' (clearly not his real name). After some negotiation we agreed a price etc. and he asked for my bank details and address to pay me by banker's draft. I checked with my bank that this was safe, and they okayed it. Eventually he sent not a draft but a counter cheque to my branch for about £4000 more than we'd agreed. When I discovered this and queried it he said his accountant had made a mistake and asked me to send it back straight away, first to 'a customer' and later to another account. He also 'phoned me and asked me to do it immediately as 'his customer was waiting'. He had a thick African accent.
Realising that this was a bit dodgy I told my bank manager (who seemed to be aged about 14) about it and he said that it was definitely a fraud attempt, and not to pay. The cheque won't clear, and I would be out of pocket. He reported it to the bank's fraud prevention department, and they told me I should report it to Action Fraud, which seems to have replaced the Fraud Squad, which I have.

So - no harm done (except I still haven't sold my engine) but beware!!

Anyone want to buy an engine?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

steve parry
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Re: WARNING - Attempted Fraud

Post by steve parry » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi Steve,

I had the same problem with an advert for an Autohelm 3000 on the WOA site which gets put onto Goolge searches as well.

I had a phone call from a person calling himself 'Mr Tom Jackson' who said he had one that came off his dad's old boat, we agreed a price and I sent him £100 to his bank account. After several days of waiting for the autohelm to be delivered, I rang Mr Jackson to get an update on when I was getting my autohelm. After many attempts and lots of excuses on Mr Jackson's part, I came to the conclusion it was a Scam!!

So beware, it comes not only from the WOA Site (they do warn you about it!!!) but like mine, it came from an internet search from Google.

Regards

Steve

PS They do say; You learn from your mistakes!! I certainly did!!! I also reported it to the Fraud Office in London who are dealing with it?!

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Slightly different - you sent him money, so unfortunately you're out of pocket. So even more annoying I should think.

Update - the cheque has now been returned unpaid and he's pestering me for the money and threatening me with divine retribution if I don't pay! I've pointed out to him that he won't be getting anything and am expecting some abuse. I doubt if they'll catch him but you never know.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Two more dodgy offers, probably, I suspect the same person as before: "Derick Christopher" and "ian thomskey", Apologies to them if they're real and I'm maligning them, but I think not. It might be entertaining to string them along but report them to Action Fraud http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Someone wants to buy my Centaur and either hasn't read the advert or knows nothing about boats or both.

Is it fraud to accept payment and sit on the cheque for 6 months without transferring ownership?
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Has he paid it in?

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:24 pm

I just deleted the email after I read it, I may have missed an opportunity to annoy a chancer but I'll survive.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.