Hello

Gordie
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Hello

Post by Gordie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi , I have just joined and am on the lookout for a good Centuar for sale preferably in the Highlands, looking forward to gaining some of the knowledge and wisdom available on this site.
Gordie in Fort William .
Fort William

Jolly Roger

Re: Hello

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Gordie

Welcome to the Westerly Owners Forum.

There is plenty of advice available on Centaurs on the forum and the main WOA web site. There is even more in the technical section that is only visible to WOA members. It would be worth every penny of the small membership fee to help in your quest.

Have you checked out the Centaurs for sale on the WOA web site? They are usually in better condition than many other places.

Best of luck in your quest.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Thanks Jolly Roger, yes I have joined WOA, I have been looking all over for a Centuar and I was recommended this site by a friend .
I feel confident if I am going to find a good one it will be something to do with this site ,
There do not seem to be too many up here at the moment but will keep looking ,
Thank you for the welcome and advice
Gordie
Fort William

steve parry
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Post by steve parry » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:01 am

Hi Gordie,

Welcome! Agree with advice given so far on this site. However, I think there are about 50 or so Centaurs on the market at the moment some good... some bad (even though they say they are in good condition!!). I don't know if you have tried the following sites: APOLLO DUCK (good site,) Ebay(has a few at the moment) or just GOOGLE 'Centaur for sale'.You will be surprised how many there are, even in your area.

Anyway Welcome.

Regards

Steve

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:24 am

Welcome to the forum. We came up the Caley to Fort William this June, was cold.

I'm selling Chiron if I can persuade Mum to decide what she is doing with her boat.

I haven't advertised Chiron yet, she is laying afloat at Tayvallich Loch Sween. She is better than some but worse than others :D

She is ready to sail away, not a project boat, unless you want to fit a new engine just in case the original working Volvo may die sometime.

If you want a "good one" and have £10K burning a hole in your pocket Chiron isn't for you.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Gordie

Hi Steve, thank you for your post , yes I have been looking at Apollo Duck , EBay , Caley Marina and Boatshed, I am look

Post by Gordie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:35 am

steve parry wrote:Hi Gordie,

Welcome! Agree with advice given so far on this site. However, I think there are about 50 or so Centaurs on the market at the moment some good... some bad (even though they say they are in good condition!!). I don't know if you have tried the following sites: APOLLO DUCK (good site,) Ebay(has a few at the moment) or just GOOGLE 'Centaur for sale'.You will be surprised how many there are, even in your area.

Anyway Welcome.

Regards

Steve
Fort William

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:39 am

Hi Steve thank you for your post,
Yes I have been looking on Apollo Duck , Boatshed, EBay and Caley Marina to name a few,
I am after a good Centuar with a budget of approximately £10-000, preferably ready to go with a good engine and minimal work required,
I went to Oban last Sunday to view one but it was a bit of a donkey ,
Will keep looking ,
Thanks again ,
Gordie
Fort William

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Bob ,
Thank you for your post ,
Could you let me know if/when you are going to put Chiron up for sale,
Also any photographs and details would be appreciated,
If I remember right the rain up here in June was pretty warm :D
Also do you have an outboard bracket fitted in case the engine does give up the ghost ?
Many thanks
Gordie
Fort William

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Me again ! ,
I read on here somewhere yesterday about a good book to buy for advice on buying a second hand boat but for the love of me I can't find the thread today ,
Does anyone have any recommendations ?
Gordie
Fort William

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Inspecting the Aging Sailboat by Don Casey. It's American, but if you can put up with the transatlantic spelling and US references it's excellent. I bought it after I bought my Centaur, and if I'd bought it first I wouldn't have bought the same boat. I also learned things that I didn't know I needed to know (do stop me if I'm sounding like Donald Rumsfeldt). You only want to pay (he says, accurately) £350 or whatever for a professional survey once, so if you can reject through your own inspection before you call on their services you can save a packet.

He (or was it someone else?) also wrote This Old Boat, a guide to repairing/renovating/overhauling it once you've got it. And How Boat Things Work by Charlie Wing (he ought to have written about flying) is an excellent guide to just that, although it does use just one type of engine for the detail.

Happy reading!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks Steve will have a look ,
Gordie
Fort William

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:18 am

There's one at the Retreat Boatyard in Topsham where my boat is layed up...

http://www.retreatboatyard.com/#!retrea ... tings/cbt5'

Dunno why she's so cheap but happy to look over her and give you my impressions...obviously I'm no surveryor....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

Gordie

Thanks Nigel ,

Post by Gordie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Wow I am impressed with the help I have been getting on this site,
That boat looks just what I am after, if you could have a look that would be greatly appreciated.
Obviously I would like to get a full survey prior to buying but if you could let me know if it is worth going ahead with it ,
Could you find out how long it can stay on the yard as I would have to arrange for a friend of mine to sail her back with me ,
Thank you again
Gordie
Fort William

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Sure I'll go and have a look in the next couple of days. I'll be down there anyway...try to get a few photo's for you too. I'm sure Simon will give you a grace period but then will probably want to charge you. Have you thought about road transport. When I bought mine I moved it from Gosport to North Devon which only cost about £300 in 2007....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi Nigel,
Thank you for your assistance,
I will look at road transport but I imagine it would be very expensive to get it up to the Highlands,
It is a thought though ! .
Thank you again.
Gordie
Fort William