Recommissioning a Centaur, Portsmouth Area

Jaymze
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Recommissioning a Centaur, Portsmouth Area

Post by Jaymze » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:34 pm

I live in Portsmouth and along with a couple of others, we're in the process of purchasing our first yacht - a venerable Westerly Centaur. I think it was well cared for until a few years ago when the owner was taken ill, whence it was deposited by HIAB crane onto the driveway of a house in Poole and left to accumulate leaves...

The survey hasn't brought up anything too scary, but she'll need a little bit of recomissioning - the plan is to find a yard where we can have her dropped off for a month or so, ideally somewhere that can cope with changing a cutlass bearing, renewing standing rigging and painting the hull topsides, whilst we do the more basic jobs.

Does anyone have any recommendations/contacts for a suitable yard?

Regards,

James

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Recommissioning a Centaur, Portsmouth Area

Post by aquaplane » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Pull out of the sale, buy a yacht that you can sail now.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Jaymze

Post by Jaymze » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Appreciate what you're saying, you may be right, equally it may be that my first post paints a darker picture than necessary!

To reiterate the question, would really appreciate any suggestions for yards in the area that would fit the bill.

Cheers,

James

colin smith
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by colin smith » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 pm

As you're in Poole I would choose either Ridge Wharf in Wareham or Davis Boatyard in Cobb's Quay. Davis will have more services nearby but Ridge will be good for the jobs you mentioned too.

colin smith
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by colin smith » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Sorry just read Portsmouth in the title :oops:

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:02 pm

James, welcome to becoming a PBO - poor bloddy owner. Yards will certainly do the work for you, but at a price.

I have to ask why you are going to paint the topsides? If they are not painted at the moment, I would advise against painting as gel coat cn easily be brought back to life with a little effort and minimal cost - probably less than the paint will cost.

Chaning a cutless bearing is not a major job, you could do it yourself or pay somone. What stern gland is fitted? If it is a grease based one then you may need to repack it to ensure the boat remains watertight.

Standing rigging is best to use a mobile rigger, no doubt there will be a local one you can use.

Sorry I cannot advise on yards close to Portsmouth as it is not my area.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Half Dozen

Post by Half Dozen » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Jolly Roger wrote: I have to ask why you are going to paint the topsides? If they are not painted at the moment, I would advise against painting as gel coat cn easily be brought back to life with a little effort and minimal cost - probably less than the paint will cost.
We are going down the same route after jet washing and degreasing with only limited results - also seems to make sense while de-rigged. Our 'solution' is two tins of topside paint from recent jumble at much reduced cost - one coat applied as is and second coat with added granules to provide grip. Hoping for some improvement in weather to get started but any advice gratefully received... James would be v interested to see how much your quote for standing rigging is as we are in same position..
Restoring Centaur in 6 months on limited budget - how hard could it be?

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:20 pm

Read this article on cleaning gel coat. I did and followed their advice. Check my photos to see the difference in my topsides.
http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Gelcoat_Polishing.html

Painting the topsides may seem a quick improvement to you, but future buyers are very wary of painted topsides. What are you trying to hide, is the general thought. That could be a poor colour matched gel coat repair, but how substantial was the damage is in the back of their mind. It's your choice but I strongly advise against painting gel coat without just reason. Then it should be done to a very high standard.

There is another alternative and that would be to have topsides vinyl covered. Many charter boats do this as it keeps the gel coat pristine for resale.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Half Dozen

Post by Half Dozen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:12 pm

Yes good point regarding resale - and although our intention is not to upsize (having effectively downsized albeit with a 15 yr gap) there is always the possibility that we may look to sell in the long term. However couple of things influencing our decision - the previous owner had started the sanding process in areas where fittings removed/holes epoxy filled and quite frankly looks a mess. Secondly grip is questionable as a result of age (43 - the boat, not me!) and sanding. Treadmaster definitely way out of our budget so going for next best option.. But may live to regret it!
Restoring Centaur in 6 months on limited budget - how hard could it be?

smudger
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by smudger » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi .can i ask if you have purchased the boat and if so how much in a ballpark sort of price ?

Jaymze

Post by Jaymze » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the info, very helpful - keep it coming!

Painting topsides based on the following from the survey:

SURVEY FINDINGS. Hull topsides.

1. These retain the original white gel coat, found in "fair" condition but are heavily discoloured (yellowed) and with the following defects:
a) Gel coat stress cracking (large patches) on both transom quarters (on transom and side panels) which track vertically from the waterline to the deck line (aka freeboard).
b) Gel coat stress cracking on the port forward section near the waterline.
c) Gelcoat damage on portside, just aft of the stem.
d) Gel coat stress cracking on starboard side adjacent to the first stanchion post.
2. No structural repairs were noted.
3. Whilst gelcoat stress cracking is mainly cosmetic in nature, all cracks on this hull are aged and the result of hard wear and tear thus due consideration should be given to the repair and repaint of the hull to protect against further damp and dirt ingress alongside the obvious cosmetic considerations.

We've purchased her subject to survey, negotiating final price on the basis thereof.

smudger

Post by smudger » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi,is it the original engine ?

Jaymze

Post by Jaymze » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

No, she has a reasonably new Yanmar.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Jaymze wrote: Whilst gelcoat stress cracking is mainly cosmetic in nature, all cracks on this hull are aged and the result of hard wear and tear thus due consideration should be given to the repair and repaint of the hull to protect against further damp and dirt ingress alongside the obvious cosmetic considerations.[/i]
As the surveyor has said, it is not just a case of painting the topsides as the cracks must be attended to. This will mean grinding them wider and filling. You might as well use gel coat or a gel coat filler and then sand smooth, compound and polish.

Over the weekend I used a Dremel to open some star burst crazing and then filled and sanded. This will seal the gel coat from water ingress and stop dirt accumulating in the crack. I did miss a couple of small cracks, but these will be attended to in the future.

For your large areas of crazing it may be quicker to completely gring the surface away and then coat with gel coat. If you need to adjust the colour of the gel coat then watch this video. http://boatworkstoday.com/archives/1512 There are other interesting videos from this guy on doing other fiberglass and gel coat repairs.

If you can retain the original gel coat, your boat will be worth more and be easier to sell in the future.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

smudger

Post by smudger » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi,regarding yellowing of gelcoat i always use oxalic acid (powder form from ebay) mixed with water and some wallpaper paste (to thicken and stays on hull longer)then rinse off with water.
Have just done my topsides with it (without the paste)great results! :D