What have you done to your Westerly today.

Khiran
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Re: What have you done to your Westerly today.

Post by Khiran » Tue May 26, 2015 9:19 pm

sorted troublesome main sheet cams, temperamental reefing clutches sorted too! result! then the anchor was inspected...oh no! check the attached photos out. the really bad triple was mid span the rusty end link was attached to stainless bow shackle/anchor and the other is obviously an older chain link...I may be a bit too cautious but they all had to go. Since I don't use a windlass i'm happier to use galvanised shackle rather than replace with chain-link. Any thoughts WOA?
Either way I'm joyous, sorted mains sheet cams & clutches...money saved! Phil. I now despise galvonic issues as much as poor weather!
Attachments
P1000266.JPG
P1000266.JPG (146.91KiB)Viewed 2254 times

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by philipstevens » Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 am

If you have a galvanised anchor and galvanised chain, then you should use a galvanised shackle or link. The stainless steel induced electrolysis will eat away at the galvanising and then the chain.

This is the reason for a sacrificial anodes for the engine and on the shaft/propeller - otherwise the prop would de-zincify and go pink.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Showed it to Paul from xwrigging who (he says) is the expert on Centaur rigging. Now awaiting a quotation.
Tidied up, put bowl under the window that leaks, locked up and left it for a couple of weeks.

Hoping to get the engine fixed next time I'm there - then I can finally go sailing....
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:19 pm

Paul's dad, Ian setup xwrigging when he left Westerly where he was the rigger I believe. He also owned the company who made the furling systems who's name escapes me just now.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Rotostay. I've got one, that looks like it's as old as the boat. He says nine out of ten come apart without too much persuasion but the tenth needs a new system at a cost of £1000. :cry:

I get the impression that he's a reliable and trustworthy chap - am I right? He's quoted me what seems like an enormous sum to replace all the standing rigging.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:47 pm

I have to say I have no experience of them myself but have not heard anything bad about them.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Khiran

Post by Khiran » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:13 pm

decided to replace all thru hull connections @ mast...all to weary and ALL leaking into ceiling cavity. Previous owner had installed a f/finder & gps, which we'd been relying on. While installing new suite of instruments i located the f/finder transducer stuck to hull with blu-tack! I read lots of posts on WOA and heed the warnings about poor workmanship but there's no excuse for laziness. Do it right or don't do it at all. On the other hand I really enjoyed removing ceilings/headline boards on our Tempest today, thought I could wait to winter but re-wire forces me to carry this out. I now have a much better feel for what is required to bring Khiran up to scratch this off-season. 1st cruise is next weekend, can't wait!

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:24 am

Today...I have mostly made a big mess in the forecabin...

The Pageant renovation proceeds apace.