What have you done to your Westerly today.

Hot Ayre
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: What have you done to your Westerly today.

Post by Hot Ayre » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Himself nipped out to the boat in between storms and drilled out the rivets to detach the boarding ladder in order to repair other rivets on it. Will re-attach with bolts to make removal for future maintenance easier. Due to problems with a visiting otter which had a thing about winches and sheets, we'd taken to raising the ladder with a bungee to the pushpit. This had stopped the beastie. Forgot about the ladder on our last visit and otter had returned. Our new curtains, sewn by a friend, have arrived. Now all we need to do is to stop the windows leaking :shock:

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:17 am

We sailed from Ardminish (Gigha) back to the mooring in Loch Sween. Did some more cleaning and engine checking then came home.

A few days cleaning and preping for the season turned into a day cleaning and a 4 day cruise with some cleaning and maintenance thrown in when we had time.

We will have to repeat our first visit to the Ardmore Islands though, it was foggy most of the time we were there.
http://www.scottishanchorages.co.uk/ard ... 4533059673
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:48 am

What a beautiful Easter weekend. So much work planned for Concerto, but virtually nothing done except get the new Zodiac and Honda outboard onboard. The reason was my 17 year old daughter became unwell on Thursday afternoon. Admitted to hospital in the early hours of Good Friday with suspected appendicitis. In the afternoon she was operated on, confirming the diagnosis. Usually patients are released within 24 hours, but on Sunday afternoon she was still there. Eventually she came home at 6.30, only for an ambulance to be called at 9. After being readmitted, she finally came home again late last night. So almost 5 days sitting at her bedside. Things looking much better today. Will try and spend most of the weekend catching up with some of the work not done.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:48 pm

Pleased to hear your daughter's improving - sorry you missed planned boat-time.

Himself was out this afternoon doing some 'glassing' - getting rid of the old fuel filler from the cockpit floor and putting in some brackets in the cockpit locker for a shelf. Also refitted the refurbished, repaired and shiny transom ladder - will be lovely not to have to keep adjusting the wobbly leg and to be sure it'll hold one's weight when climbing aboard (lots of rivets replaced) :D

Miranda

Post by Miranda » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:23 pm

Well we are finally back afloat for the season and what a great start, had a whole family of dolphins follow us for about 40 mins whilst sailing back to Barmouth. :D :D :D :D
Tim, Tempest TT23 Miranda

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Miranda wrote:Well we are finally back afloat for the season and what a great start, had a whole family of dolphins follow us for about 40 mins whilst sailing back to Barmouth. :D :D :D :D
Excellent Tim,well done. It suddenly makes all the hard work over the winter worthwhile.
Tempest Isabella TT6

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Tue May 05, 2015 4:41 pm

We took the old girl into the pontoons and removed the rest of the grabrails, etc, having found they are much easier to restore with power tools and gallons of Deks Olje indoors! They need reseating anyway. Took a saloon window out, assuming the rubber seal just needed reseating but found that it had rotted where (bad design or fitting) the joining plates had been put in with BRASS screws!! That explains all the acid powder! Just ordered more rubber seals from Trafalgar at great expense :( Fortunately we'd made up a couple of window blanks just in case! Took off another leaking stanchion to discover it had had a serious ding at some time and the nuts and washers underneath had been glassed in, having pulled through the deck, without the deck being repaired. Another job for Friday, the next dry day! Meanwhile I got on with painting the wet locker and started applying insulation to the forecabin. The new oak tiller has been offered up, adjusted, and is now home getting soaked in Deks Olje. Will need to get some more! Also discovered the stitching on bits of the sprayhood had rotted/undone in the gales so another wee job to see to!

Khiran

Post by Khiran » Tue May 05, 2015 10:22 pm

phase 1 of Tempest wood revival! We choose Owatrol D1 based on positive comments here and from some wooden boat owners at our club...results are promising, really easy to apply plus very forgiving as it stays active for up to 20-30mins...idiot proof dare I suggest.
Attachments
P1000189.JPG
Owatrol D1 application
P1000189.JPG (142.86 KiB) Viewed 3510 times

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Fri May 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Lovely stuff - I'm now sitting here reeking of it, having applied it to grabrails, etc., in empty stable today as I wasn't sure the weather would stay dry. So much easier to use than varnish and, I hope, much better than teak oil.

As it was a beautiful evening we rowed out and took out a second window. The first is now ready to be refitted but it makes sense to do more than one lot of siliconing. Also, I hope to fit lining carpet while the windows are out as this will make the job much easier. Himself made new joining plates as none available from Trafalgar. Very easily done if you have spare aluminium sheet kicking around, as we do! Hope to get more work done tomorrow.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sat May 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Just back from a lovely sail, only did 12 miles in about 4 hours, wind never got above about 8 knots, still it was gloriously sunny and warm. Oh the feel good factor, especially as tomorrows forecast is not looking too good.
Tempest Isabella TT6

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Sun May 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Indeed - horrid out there today. Himself has gone to check the boat but definitely not a day for re-fitting windows!

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue May 19, 2015 8:46 am

Morning All :-)

I'm heading down to the boat shortly and will pump the bilges, refit the starter motor and test it, charge the batteries, look for the leaks from the cooling system, take the motor off again, clean off the rust (long job), do something about the leaks.....
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Khiran

Post by Khiran » Wed May 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Khiran is on the mooring where I continued to strip back remaining varnish and prep for D1 application. Lots of activity from other members of our club stopping by and encouraging me to put away the tools and go sailing! Had engine serviced plus repaired Webasto heating system which was really expensive :( we do live in the northern hemisphere after all...and summer is coming so I'm ready :D
fair winds, Phil & Susan.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Thu May 21, 2015 6:22 pm

Indeed Khiran, I too am very pleased to have Eberspacher and even at this time of the year its lovely to wake up in the morning and have a cosy warm boat. They are such temperamental things these diesel heaters , I try and fire it up at least once every 10 days for a cycle to keep it working. I think the worst thing you can do is not use them.
Tempest Isabella TT6

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Sun May 24, 2015 10:30 pm

We met with a fellow Westerly owner holidaying in Tayvallich and had a sail to Crinan to drop him off.We then rode the tide up to Puilliadobhrain, well reefed but not well enough at times. Cracking sailing though.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.