What have you done to your Westerly today.

aquaplane
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Re: What have you done to your Westerly today.

Post by aquaplane » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:46 pm

We went out to the mooring and checked her out for the first time since October.

The mooring was OK, showing a bit of wear but plenty of life left.

The outside was better than I expected. The inside could do with a good clean and airing out.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Hot Ayre
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by Hot Ayre » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Yesterday was dreich outside but fine aboard so I stripped out a lot more vinyl (great way to keep warm) while himself measured everything so as to work out how much carpet/lining we'll need to buy. Picnic lunch and tea aboard. The Old Girl's looking a mess right now but it's nice to be getting on with the work.

thegasmannick

Post by thegasmannick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 am

today after work I finally redesigned calorifier and webasto heater to run in a area to stern and routed pipes had a good evening and even fitted new tv up
hopefully mast aerial this week as well if wind is good and I finish work early (still be bosuns chair and a head torch I rekon tho)

hopefuly send loads of pics when I have remodernised my good old centaur

list of work`s left

stern quarter berth conversion to storage and heater area (thanks to another members faboulous pics and how to diagram`s)
new cooker
galley bed conversion to big as poss
reupholster cushions and forehead bunk are into leatherette white
headliner forhead
basin and some type of shower
head,s door removal into more access for space and shower
rigging run aft
replace seacocks with modern lever bronze (awaiting lift out)
a lot I know but I love a challenge and I get bored after work at night

all done neatly and hopefully correct but everyone can have views once all completed

good luck to everyone getting theres done summers getting close now im looking at 8 weeks and hopefully ready to set sail
westerly centaur, bilge keel ,sailing area river orwell ,

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Brought down and fitted the newly re upholstered cushions, what a transformation. It utterly changes a boat from a winter shell to a cosy nest at the drop of a hat :D
Also got the engine fired up, impellor changed, anode changed, coolant changed and finally tested the Beta conversion kit that changed the alternator belt from a v belt to a grooved flat belt.It seems to be a bit of a issue with older Betas,the alternator belt chucks out black dust which is obviously caused by misalignment. Anyway the kit comprising three pullys all nuts and bolts and the belt didn't fit without making 9mm spacers to move the alternator forward. Hmmmm. :roll: But at least we have a lathe and equipment to sort it out, very irritating if you weren't geared for it.
Tempest Isabella TT6

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Gave the lovely new material I found in a craft shop to a friend who can sew, along with one old curtain as a pattern. With new curtains, second-hand-but-better cushions and a great deal of elbow-grease still to come, she's going to look a lot more cared-for!

thegasmannick

Post by thegasmannick » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:18 pm

today we went down cleaned boat up again and started sanding deck grab rails and coated with oil again look great but wow what a lot work getting em back to wood again

but feels good knowing nights getting lighter and wont be long before evening time sailing can happen to stretch sails and try out all tweaks done over winter

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
westerly centaur, bilge keel ,sailing area river orwell ,

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:57 pm

A beautiful day here yesterday and I've nearly finished stripping out the headlining. Himself was delighted to find that the wardrobe door he plans to recycle will close off the forecabin very nicely. Not sure what else he did but seemed busy while I was lying along the quarterberth trying not to get too much foampowder in my eyes while muttering about whoever put a batten in to hold the headlining up using ordinary screws. Needed to break the batten then use pliers in the end :x

Waka Tiki

Post by Waka Tiki » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi there,
having an enforced weekend off as "crew" (wife and 3 little ones) are all down with the lurgy and on antibiotics.
last weekend I anti fouled Waka Tiki. Got boot top done just as the heavens opened at Porthmadog. Used tin and a 1/2 , she's a 31 foot Berwick. Also ground back the worst of the rust on the outer starboard keel, put on "Genolite" and primed it. For some reason the port keel is perfectly ok??
Couple of weekends before I'd converted my mainsail reefing from round the boom to slab reefing. Had a good look at Tzu a Longbow , owned by Steve, that is also a member of the Porthmadog sailing Club so hopefully I drilled all of the holes in the correct place on my boom. Too late now!!

Still to do (amongst many...) service the heads Blakes sea cock (currently being used as a drain to flush out the fresh water tank), up the mast to fit a radar reflector just above the spreaders, de winterise and run Volvo Penta, finish painting Volvo Penta with red "tractol" paint, and sand and varnish exterior wood work ( fat chance of that getting done before launch on the 28th of March).

hope you all have a good season.
All the best John.

Waka Tiki

Post by Waka Tiki » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Just managed to do some boat related stuff in land locked Wolverhampton. All of my neighbours seemed intent on welcoming this spring like day with starting up lawn mowers, strimmers etc.... So... Just ran the old. Yamaha Malta OB in a wheely bin full of water. Once again it has defied my neglect over the winter and fired up on the 5th pull (I'm ignoring the preceding 20 attempts before I realised I'd forgotten to turn on the fuel tap... We'll better done in the garden than on the river!).
regards John

Half Dozen

Post by Half Dozen » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:48 pm

Restoring Centaur in 6 months on limited budget - how hard could it be?

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:38 am

Launched last Wednesday :D Went down yesterday to bend on sails which was not a great idea with 45 knot gusts, so drank tea and ate cream eclairs instead :oops:
Might get sails sorted today.
Tempest Isabella TT6

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Just brought home the 'new' cushions bought from a Westerly owner, along with some carpet to replace the stripped-out headlining. When the storms stop we'll get out to rebed/replace fittings that are leaking then the fun starts. Can't be much worse than wallpapering ... I hope ;)

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Went sailing :D Absolutely awesome, first sail of our Tempest after 6 months of ownership and 6 months of really hard work and too much expenditure...............but it was absolutely worth it.
A cold southeasterly, with wind between 12 and 20 knots, perfect for a shakedown. Out for three hours, tested most things and really pleased , boat tacks and turns on a sixpence, tracks beautifully and well balanced .Needs a reef quite early at about 16 knots, but that's par for the course with a modern beamy hull form, goes to windward at 40 deg off the wind . Its days like this that made it all worthwhile, roll on the summer.
Tempest Isabella TT6

Miranda

Post by Miranda » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Great news Kim glad your pleased with the Tempest, they do sail well not done to much with mine as I only bought her in October sailed her home then out for the winter, but well pleased with performance, looking forward to getting afloat again, your well ahead of me !! :? :cry: :cry:
Tim, Tempest TT23 Miranda

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:44 pm

Went sailing............. This was taken at about 7pm last night, we were away for the first overnight of the year and the first sleep on the new boat. Thank goodness for the Eberspacher, ice on the deck this morning at 7am when we had to slip the lines to catch the tide home.

Tempest Isabella TT6