Winter my Konsort

Konsortium
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Juliette

Winter my Konsort

Post by Konsortium » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:26 pm

To winterise my boat, should I empty the water tanks entirely? A friend put anti bacteria solution in the heads and claimed that it wouldn't damage the toilet seals and wouldn't freeze. Is this correct? If not, should I simply empty the toilet and let it dry?

Eeyore
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Winter my Konsort

Post by Eeyore » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Personally I would recommend emptying the water tanks completely . Re the toilet. dissolve some Milton in the water in the bowl and pump through the pipework to kill any bacteria then leave it empty. Anti bacterial solution won't prevent water freezing, glycol alcohol aka antifreeze will though.
Tempest Isabella TT6

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:39 pm

I suppose we all have different ideas, and routines for winterisation. We normally empty water tanks completely only every few years and then remove the debris, residue that is normally present in the tanks. Most winters we've run the water level down during September and October, but then leave all the taps open in the unlikely event that if the water freezes ( and expands ) it will have somewhere to go without splitting pipes etc. We certainly run anti freeze through the raw water side of the engine, and use a light olive/vegetable oil through the heads (and shower pump ) to keep seals and washers supple. In the Spring we'll put a capful of Milton through the water tanks and heads to eliminate any bacteria. This has worked for us for many years without problems, but I do accept that the Winter in the South of England is often very different to the North and Scotland.

Konsortium
AntiSpam Text: Juliette

Post by Konsortium » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks for the good advice. I shall proceed as instructed. Thanks again.

JayT
Site Admin
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by JayT » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:42 pm

Some useful stuff here from Navigators & General - see bottom of page for items realting diorectly to this subject:

http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_insurance.php
Regards
Tim
Webmaster & Admin Office