Tempest Isabella, new to me.

Eeyore
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Tempest Isabella, new to me.

Post by Eeyore » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Hello all, a little bit about out new Tempest. Just purchased Isabella, a fin keel Tempest no TT 6 about five weeks ago.She is the "Classic" layout with port aft cabin, and stbd aft heads and conventional fore cabin which is the version we preferred. Got her taken from Dublin by road to Kilrush where she now resides comfortably in a shed at the marina boatyard. She had been out of the water in Dublin for more than 18 months and the first job was to get the bottom soda blasted after which moisture readings were taken. The hull was so dry that a decision was taken to epoxy the bottom with Hempels osmosis prevention treatment. The bare keel was primed with 5 coats of Interprotect followed by three coats of Hempels and a key primer. Some damage to the bottom of the rudder was sorted with a good grinding back, and a few layers of epoxied glass, epoxy fillers and sanded.
The Hull was polished and all external woodwork stripped and sanded. During the hull polishing we decided to remove and replace the hull decal stripes and boot top stripe, these were replaced with new E Bay sourced blue stripes .
The mishmash of sailing instruments are being replaced with Raymarine i50 depth and i50 speed, with a i60 wind bought as a package from JG Technologies in Bognor at a reasonable price. The new transducers are now fitted.
As mentioned briefly elsewhere we purchased a new Lofrans X2 low profile windlass and 50m of calibrated 8mm chain, fitting the windlass will commence shortly. The decks have been repainted with Fleetwood masonry paint in the exact shade of the International deck paint grey at about one third of the cost of the International product. If it lasts on walls exposed to the weather for years and years it will surely be fine on a deck..................
So far all is on schedule for a St Patricks bank holiday weekend relaunch. :D
Tempest Isabella TT6

Jolly Roger

Re: Tempest Isabella, new to me.

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum.

It is good to hear what other owners are doing to their boats. I am currently undertaking a similar but more major renovation to my Fulmar (http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/woafor ... f=1&t=2748), so I know exactly what you are going through.

Are you doing the work yourself? Just remember if you meet a problem, then either search the forum or ask questions here as more than likely someone else will have faced it before.

Hopefully everything gets completed by St Patricks Day ready for launching and you have a lot of good sailing in 2015.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks Roger, I have been reading and following your progress on Concerto with interest. A great thread and great work.
Tempest Isabella TT6

captainbob
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by captainbob » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:14 am

Hello! I owned and lived aboard Isabella (formerly Westerly Concerto) for a couple of years before sailing her to her new owner (a good friend) non-stop from Dartmouth to Dun Laoghaire in November 2011.

If you've not seen this it may be of interest: I blogged our UK circumnavigation in Isabella here: http://www.yacht-forum.co.uk/viewforum. ... 0&start=50 and there's number of YouTube videos including this one of my last but one voyage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9UJkYLvQE in my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/jeffsnox

We loved Isabella. Really looked after us in some bad (for us) conditions. Really great boat.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi Jeff, nice to hear from you. Indeed I found and read pretty much everything you posted about your trip and ownership. Hope Luna is still well, it was one of the things that made me fall for the boat :shock: We have two Jack Russels who sail, so they are following in well trodden paw prints :D
Anyway we love the boat and she is now in good hands again after a few years of neglect in Malahide.
Tempest Isabella TT6

captainbob
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by captainbob » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:15 am

Brilliant :mrgreen: