Renovations to Fulmar Concerto

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Renovations to Fulmar Concerto

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:45 pm

I was expecting to use a mesh backing and the upholster agreed. Strangely it was Hawke House that recommends a vinyl backing. Their reasoning is there are water leaks and condensation allows water to run onto the plywood and then the foam sucks up the water if it is mesh backed. I must say I have never heard this before, that is why I made the comment. So far since I have owned Concerto I have had virtually no condensation or water leaks. The forward hatch leaked and is being changed. Last winter after so heavy rain with strong winds a small leak occured from the main hatch, but the sprayhood was down (also replaced) and no further leak has occurred.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:57 am

Last weekend was a bit of a non-starter as I could only make Sunday and it rained. So decided to clean the bilges of water from extracting the log for lift out and spilt diesel from fitting the Ebersparcher in the autumn. This needed to be done as I am just about ready to reinforce the aft end of the keel rib. The materials and tools are are now on board, but I still cannot decide whether to do it in or out of the water. Logically it would be better done in the water as the hull is in its natural shape, but it is going to be a messy job. I will just wait and see how all the jobs pan out, and I may just wait till later in the year.

Over the weekend I fitted 25mm wide stainless steel rubbing bands to the teak rubbing strake. These were obtained from Wilks and I needed 4 lengths of 4.89m long (http://www.wilks.co.uk/Marine/BoatFende ... BoatFender). That was only just enough as you will see the wastage from 2 lengths in my photo album. It does look very good as an upgrade to original build quality. The main difficulty was making sure I missed all the securing bolts. To do this I hung the strips with 3 light lines from the lifelines. This allowed me to position it to check where the bolts were and set the height. Once the first screw was fixed then the height could be adjusted by sliding the cord along the lifeline to lift it. Then it was just a question of pre-drilling and fixing the ¾" x 10 stainless counter sunk screws (bought from Seascrew https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?SEL ... 0000000579). To cut the lengths I used a Dremel with a cutting disc, allow at least one per cut, as I used 5 discs. Overall it looks great and a number of people have complimented me on how it looks and asked how much. The Stainless Steel cost £245.70 delivered including VAT and the screws were £15.62 delivered (I bought 250, but only used about half). So for £260, I think it is an excellent improvement as you can see in the new photos just added.

Also ground out some small star burst gel coat cracks and filled them, plus some mooring line chafe spots as well. They have been sanded flat and will be compounded and polished next weekend.

I looked closely at some areas of chipped and flaking deck paint. The deck paint does seem to be generally quite well bonded, but I found using a tungsten tipped scrapper as a hammer, it chips of quite easily. So I think I shall be removing all of the deck paint as then I can ensure no new areas can flake after repainting. It does mean a lot of extra work now, but should result in a better long term finish.
Last edited by Jolly Roger on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:40 pm

It does not seem like a month since I last updated progress.

Easter should have meant 3 days solid work, but my daughter had her appendix removed on Good Friday and due to some complications was not home until Tuesday night. All I managed to do was lift and stow the new Zodiac dinghy and outboard.

The bunk cushions are now at the upholsterers as patterns for the new foam to be cut. Sorting out the fabric took ages and finally I found a blue chenille I liked.One supplier quoted £20 per metre, but I found some on eBay at £5.50 per metre. So it pays to shop around as some fabrics could be £50 per metre. I am expecting all the new cushions, fabric and making up to be under £800. A small saving over the £2500 upward I had been quoted elsewhere.

A few weeks ago I discovered a small diesel weep from a fitting for the Ebersparcher and then forgot to turn off the fuel supply, so I have some diesel in the bilge at present that must be removed. The stopcock fitting is the problem so I am fitting an additional fuel filter with stopcock as this seemed to be adding extra protection to the fuel supply for the Ebersparcher. As the fuel supply is coming from the main filter for the engine, I have been advised to try and not use the Ebersparcher when the engine is running as it may cause a reduction of pressure in the Ebersparcher fuel supply and would cause the pipes and burner to gum up. This match would rarely occur, but worth knowing to save problems later.

The main job at present is chipping the deck paint off. It is very tedious, but necessary to get a good bond for the new paint. I have tried many different ways including mechanical means and have now settled on a 1½" chisel (kept very sharp) and a 4oz hammer. This loosens most of the paint bond and then I use a tungsten scraper. If any still remains I go back a stage and repeat. So far the side decks have been fairly easy and you can see where there has been a poor bond with the grp and also where dirt shows no bond. By comparison the front of the coachroof was a nightmare as it was properly bonded over the full area. I have now cleared two thirds of the side decks, but have not started the coach roof. So far it has taken 2 days and will probably take a further 3 days to complete the removal. Then I shall have to sand the areas and compound the sides of the coachroof before painting.

During the removal of the deck paint I have been looking closely at the stanchions. I had been thinking of replacement due to wear and adding side gates for easier access. This is not a cheap decision, but I am trying to obtain the side gates at a bargain price at present as they are the most expensive part. There are only a few patterns available in the UK, but normally cost about £400 plus bases and new stanchions. Then new guard wire and pelican catches also cost. I have checked the accessibility of the underside of the bases. It will involve removing a couple of panels in the saloon and pulling back the vinyl in the fore cabin (which is to be replaced), the final set are inside cupboards. It does mean doing it now, the deck paint will not need retouching if I delayed until next year as planned.

Before I launch there will be the deck to paint, the new guard rails, and cockpit to have synthetic teak panels fitted, plus all the deck gel coat to be compounded and polished.Still need to organise some vinyl letter to put the name on the boat. So it looks more likely I will not be launched until late May.

The only good thing recently has been to find my old neighbour has left the marina, only to be replaced with a commercial fishing boat. A chat in the marina office has found me a berth much closer to the entrance with only a short walk to get ashore with my dog.
Last edited by Jolly Roger on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon May 18, 2015 9:37 am

For the past few weeks there has been little progress on board due to family commitments. Yesterday I finally finished chipping the deck paint off the side decks, just the coach roof to go. The old self tailing genoa winches are being moved to become the new halyard winches. So a few holes to fill before that section of deck can be repainted.

Another big decision is I am no longer fitting synthetic teak in the cockpit, but having 9mm thick teak panels made for the cockpit seats and bridgedeck, but now painting the cockpit coamings. This will cost about £850 from Howells, which is not vastly greater than the synthetic teak I had planned. I expect it to look better and in 10 years time make the boat more desirable when I come to sell Concerto.

However I now have the 12 stainless steel gate stanchions by HYE at a keen price. They are 27" high (existing ones are 24") and normally cost £120 per braced stanchion, so would have cost £480 plus new bases and 4 additional stanchions. The box of stanchions contained 12 and I can use some of the main stanchions for those I need. The other set of 4 braced stanchions I shall sell for probably more than the whole box cost! That's the way to renovate a boat. I also found 5 new HYE stainless steel angled stanchion bases on eBay for £89 delivered, the matching remaining 3 cost £120! Still have not priced the new lifelines and fittings yet. So the new guard rails are in stainless, not tired old alloy and 3 inches higher, making the side decks safer to work on plus easier to access a pontoon through the gates. The only downside is I have to remove some under deck panels to remove the old bolts and fill the old holes as the plates are slightly different in shape, all before the deck can be painted.

As work progresses further I shall add more photographs. I am expecting to finally get launched in the middle of June and go sailing.
Last edited by Jolly Roger on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Work has been going well. There is little deck paint left to remove, just half the hatch garage and the deck under the sprayhood. The sprayhood has now been removed ready for easy access. I also took the opportunity to move some of the fixings to get better tension for a smoother fit.

Most of the small chips and ctracks in the gel coat have now been ground out using a Dremel and filled ready for polishing. The sanding of the gel coat filler exposed how badly stained the deck gel coat was. So I have now started cleaning the port side of the coach roof and it now looks a lot whiter, but still needs further compounding and polishing to finish. Just cannot wait until all the deck gel has been fully cleaned as it will make the boat look almost new again.

Then the next job is to remove the old stanchions and fit the new bases with side gates. This means more removal of under deck panels, but I shall work one side at a time. Once the stanchions are fitted I shall fit some line until the wires are made to size. Then it will be sand the deck to get a good key for the deck paint to be applied. The main colour is going to be changed to grey, but with white on the forward end of the coachrood, on the hatch garage and the small pads at the aft end of the coachroof where the genoa winches were mounted.

Other joibs still to do before launching include fitting the old Antal self tailing winches as halyard winches, fit teak panels to the cockpit seats, change the bolts for the anode, wax protect the folding propellor, compound and polish the top sides, adjust the line of the boot top, and a quick coat of antifoul. So just a little work, but I am aiming to be in the water by the end of the month.

A few more photos have been added for you to see the progress.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:11 am

Been working hard to get Concerto back in the water.

All the deck paint is now off, except the cockpit sole as I have had enough of chipping. On the hatch garage there is a solar panel mounted, but when I lifted it to remove the paint I found water had been held by it touching the gel coat. The gel coat has bubbles in it - yes early stage osomis, so I now have an extra corrective job to do. So if any one else has a solar panel mounted flat, it would be worth checking to see if you are suffering the same. My solution is to raise it by using some 3mm high plastic box sections I have from my business. The air gap should stop any recurrence of this in the future.

The new forward hatch has now been fitted. The Bainbridge hatch is supposed to be a straight swap for the original Lewmar one. Well the hatch is heavier, slightly larger and none of the holes lined up. So the expected couple of hour job, ended up taking over 6 hours as I had to epoxy fill every existing hole! To widen the hole I used the Fein multitool with a fine saw blade fitted and managed to cut a slim strip about 4mm wide on 2 sides.

All the small stress cracks have been filled and finished. The complex curve at the corner of the bridge deck and the end of the coachroof was difficult until I remembered I had an interesting new attachment for the Fein - a detail sanding attachment. http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Fein ... ding%20Set The holes from the haliyard and old genoa winches have been epoxy filled, ready for the old self tiling genoa winches to become the new haliyard winches. So once I removed the stanchion bases, there will be a few more holes to fill. Then I shall have some old fittings to sell on ebay to generate a little money towards more renovations.

The gel coat on the deck has started to be cleaned up. You will be surprised that I am sanding the gel as it is so discoloured. Then progressively reducing the grit grade before going to cutting compund. The end result is stunning, even though quite drastic process. Certainly not something I would recommend you try unless you are confident you can correct it if you are too aggressive with the sanding.

Down below I have started repainting some to the lockers with Danboline, so the boat reaks when left shut. In a few days I should be able return the boxes and tins to those lockers tp help tidy the cabin.

Last week I went to the upholsterers to check on progress, only to find they had not been started. I have been promised they will be ready in a couple of weeks - ready for launching. The teak panels for the cockpit have been ordered and should be ready to fit just before launching.

At present I am trying to work everyday on the boat, but not always possible, but the good weather is certainly helping progress.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:54 pm

Work has been progressing a lot faster as I have been working on Concerto almost everyday.

The hatch garage has had all blisters broken and left to dry for several days and then gel coat filled. All the exposed smooth gel coat on the hatch garage has been sanded and compounded to a reasonable shine. It will be polished once the deck paint has been applied.

The top sides have been compounded and hand polished. They look a lot better, but still not perfect so they will now have to wait until next lift out to get perfect. The boot top has been realigned to its floating marks. The antifouling has been sanded ready for a fresh coat of Dover White Micron Extra 2. Just need to fit the new bolts for the sacrificial anode, rather through bolts Westerly fitted. Still have to apply Prop Shield lanolin grease to the folding propeller.

On deck the port side of the coach roof has been sanded and part compounded. A new photo showing the difference it makes has just been added to the photo file. You may think this is excessive but I have use 180 grit, followed by 240 grit, then 500 grit, coarse compound, then fine compound. It will finally be abrasive polished followed by acrylic polish. This process does remove the top surface of the gel coat, but the discolouration has not responded to oxalic acid as it is too deeply ingrained due to oxidization of the gel coat. That layer had to be removed to get a good white colour. It is not a process I would recommend you try on any large area as you could cause some major problems. Luckily the gel coat is about 2mm thick and so far I have not sanded through to any air bubbles in the gel coat - but they are there in places.

The aft genoa cars were missing the buttons to allow easy movement of their position. Finally I have managed to track down a pair at a reasonable price, New they are £85 each, but I found someone who had a pair they bought but never fitted. They are several years old but look like new and still have the original packaging on them. Got them for £100 delivered. Must also fit the old self tailing genoa winches as halyard winches, just a question of drill and bolt, and refit the headlining.

When I need a break from sanding and compounding, I shall start removing the stanchion bases and epoxy filling the holes. The new bases are a different spacing with slightly larger bolts. They will be fixed using a double sided butyl tape, rather than a sealant. I have someone lined up to give me a hand to get them all fixed in one day. Then I shall be able to measure up the guard wires and get those made up. Finally I can start painting the decks, with a 3 day drying time before walking on.

The upholster has started making the new cushions when I visited earlier this week, but had not fitted new foam. A quick text message to the owner, whilst on holiday, clarified the new foam would be fitted in a couple of days. They should all be finished early next week.

Recently I had been trying to get my vinyl cutter to work with my software on Windows 8, but an IT expert was struggling to solve it. So now have bought a new program and designed a new name logo and should also be able to create a Westerly logo and boat type - all before launching.

I am not sure if I will be able to install the teak cockpit panels before I launch due to drying times before walking on (3 days!). Launching has been booked for 15 July, exactly 6 months from being lifted out. Provided everything goes to plan I shall attend the WOA East Coast meet in Burnham on Crouch on 24 July. Any one there will be welcome to inspect Concerto.
Last edited by Jolly Roger on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Work is progressing well towards launching on Wednesday 15 July. Almost all of the coachroof sides have been cleaned and compounded, but not polished yet. Lots of filling of minor imperfections from chipping the deck paint off. The small areas of white deck paint have been completed and looking very good.

The old stanchions have been removed. Boy was that a job and a half. Most of the nuts had been fibreglass covered, so used a Dremel to access the nuts. Two bases had previously been damaged and had plywood backing pads, so were easy to remove the nuts. Once all the bolts had been extracted I covered gel coat with Duck tape, I then started drilling the holes slightly larger to clean the holes before epoxy filling. Then I discovered there were penny washers bonded in the fibreglass, so more work for the Dremel to remove them. Worse still there were some between the fibreglass and the plywood pads, so they had to be removed. Sealing the bottom of the holes is easy using Duck tape, then the epoxy had strands of fibreglass mixed in. Using a wooden coffee mixing stick (free in Costa and McDonalds) is brilliant for forcing the epoxy mixture into the 7mm holes. The Duck tape on the gel coat helps keep the deck clean and easy to get a smooth surface. The holes for the new stanchion bases have now been drilled and will be bolted tomorrow. The bases are hollow down to the deck, so I will be leaving a drainage hole in the butyl tape.

The teak cockpit panels have arrived, along with most of the bonding materials, but only half the adhesive as the balance has to come from Italy by road. Before anyone might consider solid teak panels, I suggest you check out the cost of cleaners, primers and ahesive -it came to about £225 on top of the £848 including delivery for the teak panels. They will look good, but at that price they should.

The new bunk cushions are ready, but I an awaiting the completion of the curtains before I collect them all.

So before Wednesday I have to finish filling any deck imperfections, sand all the deck, mask up the deck, paint the deck twice, then leave for 3 days without walking on it. Antifoul the underwater profile, have the chocks moved so I can complete the boot top and antifouling. Change the anode bolts and protect the propeller. If there is any spare time I still need to refit the sprayhood and start cleaning the gel coat in the cockpit ready for laying the teak panels. Once back in the water I will give the interior a spring (alright it should be a summer) clean and start to fit the teak panels. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the adhesive arrives soon. There is also the rig to retension and sails to bend on. Not forgetting getting the vinyl name cut and applied.

I want Concerto to look smart for her trip to the WOA Burnham Rally on the 24th July. Will post some new photos in a few days.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:45 pm

The past couple of days have been manic.

The new stanchions are in place, just need to measure for the new guard wires. The extra 3" in height have made a surprising difference and make walking on deck a lot safer, also it is not so visully apparent as I thought it would be (see the new photos in the photobucket file). The antifouling has been applied, chocks moved and the patches on the antifouling and boot top have been matched in.

The weather on Sunday and Monday would not allow the deck to be painted. So I refitted the under deck panels. Then fitted the waterpump rotor but lost a screw in the bilge, emptied 3 buckets of horrible mucky water but could not find the screw. Beta are sending me some replacements FOC, thank you Beta. Some final filling and sanding of flaws in the deck were made. Today I finally taped up the deck, but not the coachroof, and applied the first coat of grey deck paint. What a difference the paint has made. The new problem is I am launching tomorrow (Wednesday) lunchtime and this cannot be delayed as the yard is stopping all boat movements for 2 weeks whilst the boat moved is serviced and upgraded. So the second coat of deck paint will be applied in her marina berth. Now I have to work out how to tie up so I can complete the deck painting without the ropes getting in the way.

Keeping my fingers crossed for no problems at the launching. The rest of the deck paint, teak panels and cockpit gel coat cleaning will be done in the water. I should have most completed ready for sailing to Burnham on Friday 24th July for the East Coast WOA meeting. Anyone there is welcome to see the renovations. I might even leave a patch of discoloured gel coat to show the massive difference my efforts have made.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:27 am

Before launchingI managed to Prop Shield the propeller with the red lanolin wax mixture and compound/polish the areas where the cradle supports had been on the hull. The launching went well and the engine started within 3 seconds of turning it over. Even the cooling water spurted out of the exhaust without a break. Then a gentle motor round to my new berth and an almost textbook berthing coming into the berth at less than ¼ knot. Fulmars handle so predictably.

Yesterday I could only manage a ½ day. I managed to tension the rigging using 2 Loos rigging guides, with the cap shrouds tensioned to 900Kg (20% of the breaking strain). %The mast was leaning slightly to starboard, so this was corrected. The lower shrouds were set up to ensure the mast was straight with about 18% tension. The forestay was already fully down on the bottlescrew, so I wound down the split backstay as far as I could, but both forestay and backstays are slightly too long. So instead of setting it up at 15%, I could only get about 11%. So another job added to the list for the future.

The Antal W40 self tailers that were the old genoa winches are now the new halyard winches. Remembering where all the bits went after several months was not difficult. Finally I refitted the remaining headlining panels back into place.

Since launching I cannot believe how many people have stopped to chat, almost all had been in the boatyard over the past 6 months. They were very impressed and had many questions on how I did things. The white gel coat of the coachroof sides was very easy to see as I was berthed alongside another Fulmar that is very neat and tidy, but with cream gel coat. Just need to complete the deck painting, clean up the cockpit gel coat and fit the teak cockpit - all before Thursday evening. If it does not get completed I am not worried as I will still sail to Burnham on Friday.

A couple more photos have been added for your viewing.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:29 am

The decks have been painted, but I have not had time to start the cockpit. It has been a mad rush to get ready to sail to Burnham on Crouch for the Westerly Owners meet today Friday. A couple of days ago the interior was a total mess with tools everywhere, covered in dust and no bunk cushions, not to mention getting ready to sail.

Where there is a will there is a way. The coachroof was only finished painting on Tuesday and I had not started getting the cabin habitable. Finding homes for some bits was easy, others took longer as things needed moving to get to a locker. To make more space I went to flake the Working Jib, then I found it was virtually a brand new Hood sail, maybe used 3 times. I found the sprayhood in the cabin made things a little difficult so I refitted this (and catching the new deck paint, quickly retouched in!). The more I cleared, the more I cleaned.

When I went to collect the new bunk cushions on Wednesday afternoon, I found they had forgotten to make the quarter berth cushion and the curtains. They have been promised for the end of next week. I will try and take some interior photos tomorrow. Now I must make the buttons up and fix them, just another job on the list.

Today I left Chatham at 6.35 and arrived in Burnham at 15.00. Initially there was no wind, but gradually some appeared as I closed the Essex coast. Then I sailed the rest of the way. Close reaching at one time I hit just over 8 knots. Unfortunately it did not stay dry and I arrived quite wet, but everything worked correctly. There are a couple of videos you can watch.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wye5oymljaxuk ... 1.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxtaoue867sxi ... 3.mp4?dl=0
If one is on its side, sorry but it looks great on my phone. I have also added a few more photos to the file as well.

Help was on hand when I arrived. After a group get together and a meal, virtually everybody wants to come and have a look in the morning. Just hope it is not too windy and wet. I might even show how I cleaned up the gel coat, but it is not for the feint hearted.

Time for bed now, it has been a very long day on only 3 hours sleep.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:55 pm

The return from Burnham is in another thread http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/woafor ... f=1&t=3234

This week I have not been able to spend as much time on board working. The sanding of the cockpit gel coat has started. The flat areas are easy to sand using the Fein orbital heads, but the inside curves are more difficult. I expected to have to use wet and dry paper with water, but the profile sanding attatchment (http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Fein ... ding%20Set) is proving invaluable. There are only a couple of places it will not reach, namely the gullies at the aft end of the cockpit seats. A photo of the difference in gel coat colour has been added to the file, along with a couple of photos of the new bunk cushions.

The original Autohelm 2000 has definitely decided to pack up working. It seems the Raymarine ST2000 is only designed for a boat with a gross weight of 4000kg, but Concerto is weighing in at 5500kgs laden. So it looks like I will have to fit the Raymarine EV100 tiller, but this can be linked to the E7 chart plotter. Don't ask the price, but it is almost 3 times that of the ST2000 - ouch, as this was not planned. The main advantage, besides increased load capabilities, is the main electronics are now going to be internal within the boat, so making them far more waterproof.

Just to say all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, so today I went for a short 4 hour sail. The wind suffered from being fluky due to on shore and off shore breezes being opposite directions. So a few major holes in the wind and massive shifts, made more complicated without an autopilot and the new shroud cleats for the flag halyards sometimes catching the genoa leach line. Coming back into the lock I was complimented with how easy I made it look, being the 5th boat in with a very strong cross tide and limited space to moor alongside another yacht. Then coming into my berth someone else said I made it look so easy as I did not use any reverse gear as I slowly edged in and picked up the spring line to stop me. If only that happened every time!
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:49 pm

Where have the past couple of months gone? Life has been getting in the way of renovations, but things have been progressing slowly.

After a lot of technical problems I have now cut and fitted vinyl lettering for the name and Westerly Fulmar branding. Photos are on the photo link in the signature. I did have a problem with the lettering on the new horseshoe lifebelt, the edges curled up after a few days in the sun, so I took them off. I will cut a couple of new sets, but remove the lettering and use the balance as a stncil to apply some paint which should bond better.

The cockpit sanding has finished after plenty of remdial filling of holes including some water damage on the cockpit seats due to air bubbles in the gel coat. The water was trapped between the old Treadmaster panels and the gel coat due to lack of adhesive when originally fitted. It looked a bit like early osmosis, but I had come across it before so I knew exactly what the solution was. Every visible bubble, burst or whole, was opened up with a Dremel and then filled. Lots of work, but the cockpit seats are now as fully sealed as I can make them, in fact I would have been happy to paint them the finish was that good. Finally the compounding has started and the cockpit is starting to look like new again. Hopefully the polishing will soon be finished and I can then fit the teak cockpit seats.

The new lifelines have been fitted, so having the side gates working certainly does make getting on board a lot easier. However I did measure 2 parts incorrectly, so still have to get replacements made.

There are plenty of things still to fit. I have bought a Raymarine Evolution 100 Tiller autopilot, that needs fitting. After searching for a good discount I found the £1500 discounted to £1250. However I found it even cheaper in Sweden (considering they have 25% VAT) and with shipping cost just £965. Shortly after I found a special price in the UK of £1099, but I was still far better of financially. My main thought was the warranty going to be valid, but it is a worldwide warranty and it does not matter where you buy (or have fitted) any Raymaine electronics.

Also there is a Fushion CD stereo to fit. I found a new old model on ebay and bought it for a keen price. It came with an i-pod dock, but still required speakers (and the Fushion ones cost almost as much s the stereo!). I found the cheapest place for the speakers was the local chandlery.

Tomorrow I am fitting the inline filter for the Ebarsparcher. This is after the main engine filter as I could not draw direct from the tank situated under the cockpit. It was recommended by an service engineer as a second level of protection as the small quantity of diesel that is delivered needs to be completely clear of all contaminents.

Whilst at the Southampton Boat Show I decided on who will be making my new sails. My existing sails are by Hood that were made in 1996 and the genoa is no longer setting well, althought the fully battened main is still OK (so if someone wants a Fulmar main then send a private message). In January I had started chatting to sailmakers, but it was only later I found a distant family connection to someone at Kemp (who now make Hood Sails). So I have negociated a fine deal for a Vectram main and genoa. They are also going to be making the new running rigging.

So although little physical progress has happened, everything is moving forward.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:28 am

I cannot believe I last posted in October. Well not a lot has happened since then. All the filling of blemishes has been completed in the cockpit and most of it has been coarse compounded and is looking good. Other than that little has happened as I have been too busy in other areas of my life, leaving little time to work on the boat.

The London Boat Show was a very disappointing and found very little I needed or wanted. Spent a bit of time looking at similar sized yachts, but would not change as I do not like their hull design or build quality. It was interesting chatting on the WOA stand and meeting a few other members.

Kemps have provided the cutting plan for the new sails and they should be started this week. They are also making up a complete set of running rigging. Not looking forward to having to pay the balance - even though it was budgeted.

The wet weather has reduced my inclination to work on the boat, but I must make some time to fit the autopilot and stereo. Once the cockpit is fully polished and it is dry and warm, I shall fit the teak cockpit seats. Bet a lot of you would like to see Concerto in real life - well I have decided to visit the Solent for the WOA's 50th anniversary meet. Just pop along and have a chat. The only additional major job I would like to complete before then is the forward cabin headlining.

As had been said many times before, a yacht is never finished but just awaiting the next job.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:30 pm

Yesterday I went down to Concerto after being away working for a month. She looked slightly tired after being in the water all winter, so I scrubbed the decks. Just doing that made such a difference. Then I removed the headsail, but that was a slight problem as it had jammed in the groove and needed winching down. This was done by clamping a mole wrench on the bolt rope and then tying a genoa sheet around the clamped end and using a snatch block on deck (a photo has been added to the photo file). This meant I could moved it down about 2 feet at a time and eventually the sail dropped easily.

Later today I am going down to fit 3 new batteries as the existing ones were installed in 2008 and no longer holding a reasonable charge. Tomorrow my new sails arrive, along with new running rigging. Hopefully in the next few days I can bend the new sails on and start changing the running rigging. Then on Sunday the 24th April I plan to have my first sail in a local club race.

Then I must find time to finish compounding the cockpit, fit the teak panels, fit the new auto pilot and stereo. No doubt there will be a few distractions due to on going work on my house, but I definitely will be at the WOA's 50th anniversay meet.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38