Bert Gear
Fulmar FR 281 'Rubicon'
ilfracombe

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Renovations to Fulmar Concerto

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 am

I felt very proud seeing her with water all round. I am cartainly the PBO - poor bloody owner!

As I had never been on a Fulmar in the water, I have to admit she sits nicely in the water and seems more stable than I expected. Just need to do those final checks before I raise the sails for the first time.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Thu May 01, 2014 11:37 am

nice work Roger!
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Looking really good, Roger. I will look out for you when you venture further down the river.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue May 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Since launching I have not been able to spend as much time doing some of the jobs I would like.

However the new spayhood from C & J Marine with grab rail has been fitted, after the old one had been removed and all holes filled with gel. The fitting instructions were followed but I found them to be wrong. The pivot feet started to bend as the fittings were too far inboard and should have been on the coach roof edge, so more holes were filled. The new Pack-a-Main has also been fitted and just needs final adjustment. The Furlex roller has been greased and when bending the genoa on I found the feeder would not take the multi-layered sections of luf tape and had to been gently opened with some wet and dry to 6 thicknesses.

Part of the TreadMaster on the cockpit coamings was removed and the gel sanded, compounded and polished (see photos in signature) as a pair of secondhand Lewmar 43 self tailers have been fitted and fully greased. These are oversize, but make winching a lot easier and the position is better for singlehanded sailing.

Numerous other small jobs have been completed like tensioning the rigging, but I feel will have to shorten the forestay and possibly the split backstay as they at the end of their adjustment. The plate rack in the galley needed adjusting for larger dinner plates, but the small plate and bowl storage was too large so used some sponges at the back for a quick remedy. Checking the electrics caused a problem as wire had dropped off the back of the fuse panel, stopping all the 12v electrics. It took a while to find where the wire needed to be reconnected. The cabling has been fitted ready for the chart plotter, now I have the correct deck gland. The cleaning of the bilges and interior are underway, along with finding the best storage places for all my clutter.

It has taken a month since launching but I have now had my first sail, but details of this is in another thread.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Since my last post at the end of May not a lot has been done onboard as I have been try to sail as frequently as possible.

However the biggest change is I have now installed the Raymarine e7 chart plotter above the B&G instruments. This caused a few problems in fitting as I wanted it on top of the instrument box. This involved using a piece of plywood that had to be thinned one side as the aluminium instrument pod was higher than the wood face and it had to be deeper than the box to clear the sprayhood. It was varnished and fixed to the wood. (see photo in the link in my signature) Routing the cable was relatively simple using a waterproof deck gland to take the cable through the deck and then down the side of the companionway hatch with other cables to the instrument panel on the side of the engine compartment. That was when I had problems as there were no spare connectors, so bought some piggy back connectors to gain the power. When I removed the panel under the bridge deck to access the back of the panel I found a mess of cables, eventually I had to remove the electric panel to add the power cables. Screwed everything back and nothing worked, no instruments, no VHF, no lights, etc. After a bit of careful inspection I found a cable had come off a connector, but which one. Finally I spotted the place it had dropped off from, put it all back together and everything worked. Phew. It has certainly been a worthwhile addition to the instrumentation.

The other thing not working was the B&G wind instrument as the wind strut was missing when I bought Concerto. In another thread I have discussed this. My intention was to change all the instruments, but then an economy measure was decided upon as the B&G log and depth were both working well. A new strut was an eye watering £650, yes £650! But I managed to source one on ebay, but it cost me £205 plus postage. This strut has now been fitted and the instrument is fully working. So no need to spend £1400 on new instruments and time fitting them.

Whilst up the mast fitting the wind strut I checked all the rigging and could see no problems. I did find the genoa halyard was incorrectly routed and it will have to be withdrawn and refitted in the other halyard position as this one has a dead eye on the mast to keep the halyard clear from the furling gear.

Last weekend I had a problem with the Autohelm 2000 as it refused to work. After returning from sailing I did some checking and found poor connections in the dry plug connection and the connector to the main control box. Both of these will need resoldering, but I think I shall fit a new dry plug as this one is difficult to fully push on, even after lubricating the O-ring, and could also be a poor connection. As I sail singlehanded most of the time, life is a lot easier with an autopilot.

For those who might be interested with how the Gori folding propeller is performing. Not a glitch of a problem with it opening or closing, either in forward or reverse. Under sail I do get a very slight wobble on the rudder, but have put this down to turbulence from the keel, not the propeller. In fact I have found the whole handling under power to be exactly as I expected - precise and easy. Once entering Chatham Marina lock, the space was less than 10ft longer than the boat as the boat in front was about 15 ft too far back. I still managed to pop the bow in and manually bring the stern in. Later one of the marina staff comment that I made it look so easy, especially as a motor boat came in after me a made a complete pigs ear of it and not going alongside, but ended up rafted against another motor boat. They even had about 6 crew on board, but a skipper who did not understand how to use his twin engines to position his boat.

My next main task is to complete the fixing of the Eberspacher heating system. I could not see the point in wasting good sailing weather to do this. Then I shall start on compounding the gel coat on deck and getting rid of all marks, scratches and oxidisation (yellowing of the white gel). There will be a few marks to be filled with new gel, but nothing major. Once polished it will gleam brightly like the hull. Then I shall look at the deck paint, after checking several fittings are correctly sealed. So watch this space for more updates.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 pm

It seems so long ago that I last posted, but sailing does get in the way of renovations.

The Ebersparcher is nearly completely fitted. The combustion unit is mounted on the aft bulhead in the transom. A new exhaust pipe has been fitted to the existing hull outlet in the transom - a bit of a pig to get at but a hatch at the end of the quarter berth helped, but I could only get my head and one arm through! For the main ducting I cut the original in the cockpit locker and used this to pull the new ducting and control loom through into the cabin. The electrical block was put inside the ducting to stop any chance of it catching. This was surprisingly easy to do. An extension to the original ducting has been made to take heat to the forward cabin. This entailed cutting 4 holes, 3 through the bulkheads of the hanging lockers and 1 in the berth side. I made a bit of an error as I bought a 70mm hole cutter to pass the 60mm ducting, but the hole required for the outlet was 76mm - so had to buy an additional cutter.

Once the ducting had been all connected, I then turned to insultating it in the sail locker to make it more efficient. The ducting passes aft at cockpit coaming height, so had a number of curves. This makes wrapping with a double layer of aluminium coated bubblewrap slightly difficult. The roll I was using was 600mm wide, but at times it was easier to reduce this to 300mm or even 150mm. A self adhesive aluminium tape was used to seal everything together. There will certainly be far less heat loss in the sail locker now.

Whilst checking the best way to pick up the fuel, I found that the large panel running fore and aft at the back of the engine had been amended when the new engine had been fitted. Unfortunately to remove it meant unscrewing 5 screws on a piece of plywood, as this prevented the panel removal. After some careful thought, this has been improved so the main panel can be instantly removed. It took about 2 hours of cutting and adjusting to make a piece to be flat with the panel. Why this was not done originally I do not know.

The next stage is to fit some boxing to the ducting to prevent crushing and further ducting to cover the exhaust that now passes within the sail locker. The fuel pick up should be via a pipe from the top of the tank, but as the tank is under the cockpit, I cannot get there to fit it. So I plan to take the fuel from the fuel filter as there is a spare outlet and it is easy to get, it is mounted at the aft end of the engine. Then all that is left to do is connect up the battery and test it.

Whilst working on the Ebasparcher, I now plan to Danboline the lockers where the ducking passes through the cabin as the original grey paint is looking very tired and rubbed. I also plan to do the sail locker as well as soon as the boxing is complete. Not looking forward to the fumes, but while they are empty it makes sense.

This winter I am planning to remain in the water until late January or early February and then be hauled out so I can then start on some other important jobs. The major job I want to do before lifting out, is to reinforce the keel rib, mainly in the aft end as this is a known weakness of early Fulmars. There has been a poor attempt in the past, repairing some cracks in the corners of the rib, but this will all have to be sanded back as I do not trust the adhesion. Also the way it was done has altered the floor levels slightly and the floors all rock and none are screwed down. A messy job with lots of sanding, but definitely needs doing. It was originally planned for this summer, but work commitments got in the way.

The rubbing rail needs stripping back to bare wood as some old varnish coats are lifting. Not sure whether to revarnish or use a breathable woodstain. Then I plan to fit a stainless steel D section for better protection against the wood lining of the marina lock - yes I have rubbed a couple of times and do not want to ruin any new finish. Whilst working on the rub rails I plan to do the same finish to all the other external woodwork. Then I want to check the integrity of the deck fittings and if necessary rebed them.

The self tailing genoa winches on the aft end of the coachroof are going to be moved to become the halyard winches as they are more substantial than the orignal Lewmar 16's. The non slip decks are to be sanded back to gel coat as they are chipped and flaking in places. These will be repainted in a grey colour non slip after the surrounding gel coat has been compounded and polished (naturally any faults will be fixed first). All the old Treadmaster in the cockpit needs to be lifted and I now plan to lay synthetic teak as solid teak is too expensive.

Down below the forward cabin lining needs stripping and replacing. Whilst doing this I have to repair a panel in the main cabin as it has bubbled after being replaced just before I bought Concerto. Then all the higher level lockers and hanging lockers, plus the foot of the quarter berth will all be lined. So will start with some smaller areas to get some experience of handling the foam backed vinyl. I would also like to change most of the internal lights as they are the originals and are looking very tired, might even change some of the cabling. If I get a chance, I would love to rub down the inernal woodwork and refinish to make it look a lot smarter. This may have to happen in sections, but might have to wait a year. The last big changes are new upholstry and curtains, plus a new cooker and gas system.

It will be great when it is all completed. Hah, ha. When is a boat every completed?
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Finding the connector for the fuel for the Ebasparcher from the main tank filter has been a problem, finally a solution has been created. The different sizes has been the problem as I could not find a hose/pipe step down reducer at the major supply wholesaler. A fitting to the filter has been reduced in diameter to make fitting the smaller flexible pipe easier to fit. I now have just got to make the final connection of the diesel pump and fuel line, then bleed the Ebersparcher and engine. Finally the Ebersparcher should be running. That is less than an hours work to complete.

However all my current plans are taking a backseat at present. On Wednesday my wife and I had just left Tower Hill Underground station to use the underpass to go and look at the remaining poppies on display at the Tower of London. Half way down the flight of steps she slipped and managed to break her ankle in 3 places. So we never saw them. It was only yesterday (Sunday) that she had the operation to plate and screw it all back together. They expect her to remain in hospital for at least another 5 days. Not being that close to home is making the daily visit very waring and am currently not sure when I will be able to finish that job. So all my well laid plans have been thrown away as family does come first over the boat even thogh she hates boats.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rhumlady » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:26 am

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hopefully she will make a full recovery but it will take time. My wife fell down on a badly made step at my son's place and it took about six months to get over it. It seems that one thing leads to another in these situations especially as we get older. She had been going to the gym regularly up-to that point but has never been able to get back into training since even though the leg has healed. I think you are going to have a shortened season next year unfortunately.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Commiserations also. I suppose the only bright note is that it didn't happen on the boat....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:46 am

Thank you for your kind comments. The good news is my wife will possibly be coming home over the weekend.

At present I have planned to complete the Ebersparcher tomorrow and it looks likely this will not be disrupted. Fixing the fuel line and pump, then bleeding the engine and Ebersparcher and the job is complete.

She even knows I have planned it and knows it is important to complete, as it will probably be impossible over the next few weeks once she is home again and with Christmas approaching.

Today I must try and book Concerto's period ashore, as there are the usual winter jobs that need to be done, plus a few more of my renovations. I do not think my wife's accident will curtail too many of them. Being in hospital she has come to realise how much time I have put in by just visiting virtually every day. Roughly a 2½ hour round trip by car after work plus the visiting time, has meant many late nights. Also being available at the end of the phone during the day when she has been very depressed. I know she does not like boats at all due to severe motion sickness, but realises it is very important to me.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Oh so close to finishing the Ebasparcher on Saturday.

Decided to run the fuel line a different way after meeting a snag. Also re-routed the power for the fuel pump. Everything is now very neat and tidy. Just need to fix a stainless steel support for the exhaust and then bleed the engine and Ebersparcher, then the job is complete.

My wife came home on Sunday after 11 days in hospital. Finally confirmed it was a complex break when told the operation to fix the 3 breaks took 5 hours. She will take quite a while to be mobile as currently still having to use a zimmer frame. I feel it is going to be a long haul back to whatever normal will be. Today just found out her mother, who is coming daily to help, has a cataract so should not drive after dark.

Still expect plenty of my plans to be completed over the winter months. My difficulty is to choose the order of importance.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Finally bled the engine today and got it running smoothly. Then turned the fuel on for the Eberspächer and found a fuel leak immediately by the fuel cock. This took a while to fix as a compression fitting had not sealed correctly. In the process I slipped whilst in the sail locker and reaching into the space behind the engine, only to drop about 6 inches on to the tip of an anchor - ouch. Then tried firing the Eberspächer up. It took a short while for the fuel to be pumped through and it ran. Then it stopped. So switched it off and on again. Fired up almost immediately and ran well. In about 15 minutes it had taken the cabin temperature from 5C to 8C. Could not stay any longer as I had to get home to check on my wife as my daughter had gone out.

This must have been one of the longest fitting jobs for an Eberspächer. I purchased it in February, but only started fitting it in early October and only got it finished today, nearly 2 months later. The insulating and boxing of the ducting was very time consuming, but very worthwhile as a "professional" installer would have done neither. Some photos of the ducting in the sail locker have been added to the photo link in my signature.

Not sure exactly when and what I shall do next, but so much still to do.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:55 am

Jolly Roger wrote:In the process I slipped whilst in the sail locker and reaching into the space behind the engine, only to drop about 6 inches on to the tip of an anchor - ouch.
Found out yesterday that I have cracked a rib. So that will stop me doing a few things on my list for a few weeks. Grrrrr.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:52 pm

As posted elsewhere Concerto came out of the water on Monday 19 Jan for the first time since lauching on 29 April 2014. She had not been scrubbed, but she was remarkably clean as you can see in the photos just added to my signature link. Being berthed in Chatham Maritime Marina, it is well known for its low growth compared to the Medway. The Micron 2+ in Dover White has performed very well. The greenish tinge in the photo after jet washing is due to the high copper content according to the boatyard manager, who also said it is the best performing Micron colour. The static trim of the waterline is slightly bow down, so I shall alter the boot top for next year and add a lttle more weight in the sail locker by moving the 100% jib from the fore cabin to the sail locker with the new inflatable with outboard. Keeping the water and fuel tanks full will also help.

So what is planned this winter?

Remove the old damaged Treadmaster from the cockpit. Repair a few small gel coat chips and then compound and polish the gel coat. The cockpit seats and coamings will have synthetic weathered teak Dek-King from Wilkes. The original Lewmar 16 halyard winches are being remove and the Antal self tailing genoa winches on the coach roof are being moved to become the new halyard winches.

At the bow is an area of deck protected by bits of Treadmaster. This looks unsightly and will be removed and a simple dished piece of teak will be fitted to stop the anchor chain scrapping the deck. A small area of deck behind the anchor winch is suspected to have a little movement, so this will be epoxy filled. All the deck gel coat will be compounded and polished. The existing deck paint is chipped and flaking, but I have not yet decided whether to completely remove it or to treat the damaged areas before completely repainting the non-slip deck. The colour will change from blue to grey. The Lewmar forward hatch has a small crack in the perspex and is slighlty loose in the frame. It will cost £190 to get the perspex changed, but I have located a replacement hatch for £260.

All external woodwork has varnish in a poor state, so I have decided to remove all the old varnish (except around the main hatch) and leave it to weather as it is teak. The wood rubbing strake is going to have a wide stainless steel strip (from Wikkes) added to prevent any damage from brushing the wood in the lock of the marina.

All running rigging will be replaced as some is at the end of its working life, but all the ropes have green verdi gris. The main boom will be converted to single line reefing from slab reefing to make it easier as I sail singlehanded most of the time. Repair the damaged spinnaker pole with large stainless steel pads under the lift fittings by removing the end fittings.

The forecabin has not had the headlining replaced, so that is now a priority. I shall probably get someone to do that for me as they will definitely do a better job that I can on my own.

All the interior cushions are going to be replaced as the original foam is loosing its spring and some of the fabric has reached the end of its life, besides a lot of the buttons are missing or gone rusty. The curtains will also be replaced at the same time.

The hull has been well supported and will allow me to finally reinforce the aft end of keel rib. The main thing will be to ensure the floor is level and allow it to be screwed down again. All the interior lockers will either be lined with headlining material or repainted.

I also expect to quickly compound the topsides again as they are still showing patches of discoloured gel coat. The final job will be to add the name to the transom and Westerly emblems to the style line.

It does seem a very long list, but is possible over the next 2½ months. The major jobs for next winter include rubbing down the interior woodwork and relaquering, plus a new cooker.

Hope this will encourage you to get started on your winter chores list.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38