Questions about Konsort and Tempest

lampshuk
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Questions about Konsort and Tempest

Post by lampshuk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi, all. Like many others on the forum I am returning to boating after some time away. Due to budget constraints we're looking at old-ish boats, and are trying to keep to 31 foot or below to keep berthing availability and cost (will be in the Solent area, so £££) to a manageable level.

Having gone cross-eyed with googling and websearches for the past few weeks and spending more time on ApolloDuck than is decent, we made our first foray to look at some actual boats yesterday. 2 Westerlys and a Moody.

Now, my Dad (who owned a Berwick, on which I spent many happy hours sailing when I was young) always said that "any boat is a compromise". My response to that of course was "yeah, whatever." I just turned up and sailed - on that and other boats - and just enjoyed the good features of the boat and worked around the not-so-good.

Now we are actually looking at taking the plunge ourselves, I begin to understand a bit better what he meant. I hope he isn't reading this post, because it'll be another "I told you so" moment for him. Oh well. Whatever. Add it to the list.

When looking at these boats it's clear that they would be great overall, and enjoyable, but there are one or two "niggles" that I came away with, that I wanted to check with actual owners of the type of boat in question to see if it's an issue in practice. I would appreciate any and all comments:

Konsort:
Lots of volume overall, good practical layout etc. But:

The chart table seat looks almost impossible to get into - the one we looked at had a folding table (I believe this is non-standard), which made it possible to get in to the seat, but the edge of the cockpit/ companionway would make it extremely difficult without the ability to fold the table. Is it really as difficult to use as it looks?

The "double" quarterberth looks really cramped. Is it, in practice? One of our planned "use modes" is for 2 couples, and having 2 "proper" doubles would be important.

Tempest:
Looks really good, and has very racy lines. I loved the wide side decks and it has a very good sailing reputation. But:

In the twin-aft-cabin layout the tiny cockpit lockers mean that you have to keep any serious warps - and all fenders etc up in the forepeak. I can see that being a significant pain if you are singlehanding. In practice, is it so? 1-up isn't our plan, but I can see it happening.
The Tempest we looked at had disappointing flimsy plastic inserts behind the saloon locker doors. Felt really cheap and wasted loads of space. Are these universal on Tempest? Has anyone removed them and added "proper" shelves behind? I suppose there may be a structural reason for Westerly doing this, besides simply saving money.

Other Westerlys we are interested in include the Merlin and of course the good old Berwick. I am sure that a Discus or Fulmar would have a lot more space, for not a lot more money than we are planning (especially compared to the Tempest) but I think it might be rather rash to look at the next step up the ladder.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice,

Martin.

Uncle Albert

Re: Questions about Konsort and Tempest

Post by Uncle Albert » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Haven't got either of the types in question but just suffice to say " you should always listen to yer Dad"

Good luck in your search and I am sure valuable comment will be forthcoming.

And finally you'll like whatever you get 'cos its your boat!!!

Unc
Uncle Albert
CR1702

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by philipstevens » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:27 pm

We had a Konsort for 9 years, and during that time, she was also used as a charter yacht.

The chart-table: We had no problem accessing it, and you use the quarter-berth as the seat.
The quarter-berth: This is a big single berth, not a small double. Mind you, it would be cosy and intimate :oops:

The Konsort is a 6 berth boat - 2 in the fore-peak, 1 in the quarter-berth, 1 to stbd, with the feet in the trotter-box, and 2 to port with the the berth extended as fitted

Cabin lockers can take in a huge amount - under-berth and behind berth seat backs, and also above the seat-backs and above that.
Cockpit lockers are also cavernous.

The only reason we changed to a Duo, was for general comfort - though we missed the long lounging berths of the Konsort, and we didn't have so much locker space, but.......
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:24 pm

We've had our elderly Konsort for a year now and she's just right for us. Bilge keel so we can dry out on the beach to scrub off/antifoul/check anodes, etc. Forgiving and very comfortable under sail but not a slug. Handles beautifully at slow speeds under motor. Solid and stable. Dry. Huge amount of space/storage below and a cockpit locker you really can stow the dinghy in, along with everything else! Getting your legs under the chart table can be a bit tight but we simply raised ours a few inches and that made it a lot easier. Forecabin very spacious for two and quarterberth has plenty of room for one plus kit. Lovely wide decks makes it feel safe when you have to go forward/work at the mast. Big safe cockpit. And you don't need a ladder to get aboard when alongside pontoons! Easily sailed single-handed or by husband and wife team. Just about enough deck to sunbathe! Perfect, too, if like us you like to catch and cook lunch underway (or, for that matter, fill the freezer); boat rods stow very nicely along a forecabin shelf. The cockpit is large enough to land a string of mackerel without getting tangled in the rigging! We have the fold-up saloon table as ours is an early model and that's really handy when stowing lots of kit and stores for cruising as it doesn't get in the way. That's all I can think of just now!

lampshuk

Post by lampshuk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks, all - very helpful feedback, and much appreciated. Comfort wins hands down over performance in our book, which is why the Westerlys are so appealing. I had a phone call with one very grumpy and condescending broker who tried to dissuade me from buying a boat of any kind until I had £50K to spend, and on no account to get a bilge keeler. So I won't be talking to them again.

I think we need to see some other Konsorts. The one we saw wasn't a great advert for the type. Apart from anything else she had a radome and radar fitted, but not listed in the ad. To make the point that it wasn't working someone (presumably the owner) had severed the cable at the base of the mast. So a few hundred pounds' work to remove that lot...or £2K to fit a new one - plus new headlinings throughout and revising some of the carpentry.

The search goes on...

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Old, well-used Konsorts are good value if you're good at DIY. Ours is a work-in-progress but we can still cruise and daysail in the meantime. We just don't invite anyone aboard if they're likely to be upset by sagging (and ours really are heading for the bilges in places!) headlinings and elderly upholstery! Later models/those in better condition will cost a lot more. We found ours through the WOA classified ads - had no luck with brokers.

bert
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by bert » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:41 am

some Konsorts were self finish maybe the one you looked at was one of these.
i had a 81 Konsort for many years and was very happy with it, and as someone has said 1/4 birth is not realy a double but the port seating turns into a double
im undesided regarding table (my friend has a folding type) which is great when up you could hold a dance! but the fixed gives something to hold on too
Bert Gear
Fulmar Rubicon
Ilfracombe