Snow snow snow

Waka Tiki
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Snow snow snow

Post by Waka Tiki » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:14 am

Just want a bit of sympathy really ... not getting much from my better half. Plan was: up to the Berwick in North Wales this weekend to finish the last bit of anti fouling, sort out the tiller and lay pick up lines on my mooring at Porthmadog then a nice easy launch on sat 30th.

Huh... fat chance... now "snowed in" in West Midlands and prospect of a freezing cold rushed launch weekend at Easter.

Ah well to miss quote Robbie Burns:

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,

Serves me right for being smug and bragging about how much I'd got done and how far ahead I was in launch preparations compared to previous seasons!
John.

poachers lady
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Snow snow snow

Post by poachers lady » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 am

May I be the first to offer my sincere condolences. I thought I was ahead of the game and looking forward to an early return to the water; but..................

Near freezing temperatures and chilling F6 NE winds over the next week not doing much for my mood. And I'm in the South!

Oh well.

Happy Sailing (whenever!)
Regards

Mike

Poachers Lady
Centaur

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:58 pm

We are in the same boat. Chiron went to Kip on the back of a lorry 2 weeks ago.
We went up last W/E to do jobs and antifoul. I did get some of the jobs done but got stalled by the keels needing rust eater before priming, it just wasn't warm enough to do anything. I had had enough of laying in the puddle between the keels chipping off rust too.
The planned return trip this W/E was cancelled almost as soon as we got home on Monday.
Next W/E isn't looking good either.
The delivery trip over Easter won't happen, maybe May Day week.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Waka Tiki

Post by Waka Tiki » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks Mike and Bob... its encouraging in a perverse sort of a way to hear others in the same boat (or should that be NOT in the boat).
At least I got most of my anti fouling done a couple of weeks ago despite the fact that as I finished the "boot top" the paint was literally blowing off the brush. Its also my sisters birthday today so she can remember exactly what she was doing this time last year

... sunbathing in the garden.

Ill stop now before this becomes a sub branch "the Grumpy Westerly Owners Association"!
John

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:54 pm

If it's any consolation we're wating for the wind to abate sufficiently to get out to the boat so we can check our mooring line's still OK after 3 (or is it 4?) days of gales and bobbing up and down ... we'll not be antifouling until late April/May when we can put the old girl on the beach!

bert

Post by bert » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:11 am

all back in water here in Ilfracombe had a great launch weekend here
Bert Gear
Fulmar Rubicon
Ilfracombe

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Here in the SE I planned and got myself ahead of the game in every 'good' weather window we have had since December so I too am ready to launch, and this is the second time, I had planned it 2 weeks ago when the tides were right, but the foul wet weather then scuppered the plans as I was not able to load in the 'soft' furnishings onto the boat in the rain. Now it looks like this coming Wednesdays planned launch is under threat from the wind and I have yet to test run the engine which will blow out the antifreeze and ............. well you can guess the potential with these temps. So I am getting more and more frustrated with these blasted easterlies.

The only saving grace is that would I really want to go sailing in these Arctic temps.

Still wont be long till we are moaning that "ITS TOO HOT"

Unc
Uncle Albert
CR1702

Waka Tiki

Post by Waka Tiki » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 pm

"Still wont be long till we are moaning that "ITS TOO HOT""
Now... Uncle Albert are you prepared to give us this as a written guarantee? With a sub guarantee of a "Barbeque Summer"?

Thanks John

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 pm

You would have to beleive me if I was a Cypriot Banker..................................... but I am not.
Unc
Uncle Albert
CR1702

spycatcher
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by spycatcher » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 pm

the kyles of bute have been a hive of activity today

more than a dozen boats gone by

mines going back in the water next week come rain hail or shine :)

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Launched today and had a little potter under genoa up and down the river. Nice to be back on the water but by Jiminy it was cold! New depth instrument works well and blow me the old one started to work as well but then lost its way when the depth was less than 3 metres, just like it did last year, resulting in a new one. What possible use is a depth instrument which does not work in shallow water. Answers on a postcard to.........

Hopefully the temp will creep up over the next few days.

Unc 'much happier now'
Uncle Albert
CR1702

Waka Tiki

Post by Waka Tiki » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:49 pm

My boat yard emailed me on Wednesday and said I could continue with my launch tomorrow or delay it for a couple of weeks... I gave the options my deepest consideration for all of 30seconds and decided to be land locked for another 14 days.
John