Westerly cirrus listing to starboard

keithbennett101
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: negative

Westerly cirrus listing to starboard

Post by keithbennett101 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:25 am

I am new to sailing and have recently bought a Westerly Cirrus. I have noticed that she has a slight list to Starboard and maybe a bit stern heavy. She has had the original engine replaced with a Penta 2010 and has a double battery set on the Starboard side.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem before?

I cannot find any trapped water or any other reason apart from it being a combination of the fuel tank and the double battery set which are both on the starboard side.

I not exactly sure where the water line should be along her stern. I compared her with other Westerlys in the marina who's sterns appeared to lie right on the water line ( the bottom of the U shape)

I have added some ballast to the bow and port side to try and balance her out, but her stern is still about 4" below the water level.

Any ideas greatly received.

thehairs1970
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Westerly cirrus listing to starboard

Post by thehairs1970 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Not an expert but...

Fuel tank and batteries will weigh a lot. This might account for listing. Is the anchor and chain central?

Adding ballast to the bow won't necessarily bring the stern up. I suspect the penta engine is heavier.

Martyn

Jim Boyd
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by Jim Boyd » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:00 pm

keithbennett101 wrote:I am new to sailing and have recently bought a Westerly Cirrus. I have noticed that she has a slight list to Starboard and maybe a bit stern heavy. She has had the original engine replaced with a Penta 2010 and has a double battery set on the Starboard side.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem before?

I cannot find any trapped water or any other reason apart from it being a combination of the fuel tank and the double battery set which are both on the starboard side.

I not exactly sure where the water line should be along her stern. I compared her with other Westerlys in the marina who's sterns appeared to lie right on the water line ( the bottom of the U shape)

I have added some ballast to the bow and port side to try and balance her out, but her stern is still about 4" below the water level.

Any ideas greatly received.
my merlin also lists to s/b. seems to be a characteristic of many westerly yachts. i have stopped worrying about it. cant comment on the stern issue - sorry

rgds

jim

Cirrus-adienorth
AntiSpam Text: Negative

Post by Cirrus-adienorth » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Without sounding too technical its all to do with the centre of gravity with regards to a pivot effect. If its heavy at the stern then the centre of gravity will also be more aft and putting more weight up forward will level it out etc but wont raise the stern it will simply centralise the weight more but make the boat sit deeper in the water. The only true way to counteract the list without sitting the boat deeper in the water would be to remove weight. This however im assuming is not an option with regards to the engine and fuel tank but i know one person did move his fuel tank further forward to within the boat on the stbd side with a fuel vent leading to fresh air. This sorted the low stern a bit but not necessarily the list. Hope ive helped at all any way. Many thanks

Lively22
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Lively22 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:46 pm

I have a westerly cirrus that was listing to starboard until I measured the position of my mast and found it was tilted to starboard by 5", pulled back into place and she sits upright, took me a while before I found the issue